Vandy-Hawaii Sunday Thread

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Vandy-Hawaii Sunday Thread

Post by admin »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Vandy-Hawaii Sunday Thread

Post by Commodoredave »

This is not a championship defense.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

What is with the tv feed and announcers? This guy grates on my last nerve.
WestCoastDore
Vice Admiral

Post by WestCoastDore »

commadore wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:30 pm What is with the tv feed and announcers? This guy grates on my last nerve.
I was just thinking the same... For now, I"m telling myself, the announcer is a student who is filling in for the regular announcers who are probably dealing with the women's basketball game later but then concurrent today. That probably also explains having only one camera feed and lack of on screen stats.

I'll give him credit for his Vandy baseball knowledge, but his presentation is way too "Boston Red Sox" for me.

Oh well, hopefully, it's a learning opportunity for him.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

It’s Max H. He does a good job, even with the accent.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

ahead 3-2 bottom of 6th
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VandyPhile wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:52 pm It’s Max H. He does a good job, even with the accent.
Max does the radio broadcasts until Fisher is available at the end of basketball season. He is the regular radio man and I like his enthusiasm and his knowledge. He is really good. I have been listening to him for so long that whatever mannerisms are bothering people tell me they are not longtime radio listener in early season. Anyway a good announcer for the dores.

What is not good is that the score is tied at 3 and we have left 5 on in the past 2 innings without scoring.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastDore
Vice Admiral

Post by WestCoastDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:35 pm
VandyPhile wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:52 pm It’s Max H. He does a good job, even with the accent.
Max does the radio broadcasts until Fisher is available at the end of baseball system. He is the regular radio man and I like his enthusiasm and his knowledge. He is really good. I have been listening to him for so long that whatever mannerisms are bothering people tell me they are not longtime radio listener in early season. Anyway a good announcer for the dores.

What is not good is that the score is tied at 3 and we have left 5 on in the past 2 innings without scoring.
Sorry, but I don't listen to the radio broadcast of the games. Prefer to watch the ESPN feed and haven't figured out how to sync Joe up with it.

Our bats seem to be off and on, too many sloppy throws from first to second, too many hits into doubles and too many dropped foul balls... but Corbs always plays for the end of the year rather than actual wins and losses... So i'm telling myself it's all part of raising this young team to the necessary level.

Still tied

I tried to get my games stats from VU athletics site only to discover the broadcast is delayed by almost a minute from those stats so.... a similar problem to my sync with Joe..

And I could get used to Max...
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We have continued to blow chances to win this game. Bottom of 9th no outs and Martin on second and we get three straight outs (2 of which are strike outs by our better hitters.) If we lose this game it will be because of lack of clutch hits when we had men in scoring position. Ugh
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Tyler Brown in - I suppose we are trying to instill some confidence in him.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Just glanced at the box score, and we've left 37 men on base in this game.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Tyler Brown has shown no ability to get anyone out all season. Little worried about him. We just lucked out on a bad squeeze play that Brown made a good play on, but he has been both wild and extremely hitable all season. Now without Hickman or Rocker, this could be bad.

And now he hits a guy with runners on first and third and an 0-2 count. Bases jammed, two out.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

2 unearned runs for the Rainbows - it is do or die as we go into the bottom of the 11th. Now or never.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Woohoo, walkoff!!!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Walk-off "dinger" Isaiah Thomas crushes it. WE win 7-5 Vandyboys!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

This team is going to take months off my life expectancy. & i don't have that many left.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:04 pm Just glanced at the box score, and we've left 37 men on base in this game.
But we emptied the bases when it mattered most (2 out in the bottom of the 11th).
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:35 pm
Max does the radio broadcasts until Fisher is available at the end of baseball system. He is the regular radio man and I like his enthusiasm and his knowledge. He is really good. I have been listening to him for so long that whatever mannerisms are bothering people tell me they are not longtime radio listener in early season. Anyway a good announcer for the dores.

I knew Max when we were at Vandy, and he has always done a good job. Also, for what it's worth, he's from Pittsburgh, not Boston, so I'm not sure where the Boston accent thing is coming from.

Anyway, I'd almost given up and left in the top of the 11th, but glad I didn't!!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Only thing I don't like about Max is the hollow roll of words (Comma-DOOOORES) that makes him sound like the late Jim Fyffe saying TOUCHDOWN AUBEEEEERRRRRRN!
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

WestCoastDore wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:57 pm
Sorry, but I don't listen to the radio broadcast of the games. Prefer to watch the ESPN feed and haven't figured out how to sync Joe up with it.

I tried to get my games stats from VU athletics site only to discover the broadcast is delayed by almost a minute from those stats so.... a similar problem to my sync with Joe..

And I could get used to Max...

I also like Max. He's definitely rooting for the Commodores.

And today he did BOTH. You could hear the radio commercials in the background between innings.

We've seen comments here that when our regular SEC Network guys (Kevin Ingram and Andrew Harris) call the games they are supposed to be neutral (even though their pay is from Vanderbilt). Apparently, Max hasn't gotten that memo. :)

As far as synching Joe Fisher with the ESPN broadcasts: I suggest you get Joe on the TuneIn app with a computer (I don't seem to have the same controls on my iPhone) and PAUSE the audio for a minute or whatever until the video catches up.

One more thing about Max or even Kevin and Andrew: You've got to love either option compared to the Top Bananas (Kyle Peterson, Ben McDonald, Chris Burke, Karl Ravech, Dave Neal, etc.). They frequently ignore the game at hand to interview bystanders, discuss ballpark food options, and contemplate NCAA bids and seeding.

Half the time we don't learn the name of a pinch-hitter or whether the call was Hit or Error. Who's in the bullpen? They don't know and apparently don't think WE care to know.

Tell us about the game we're watching!
Locked Previous topicNext topic