We have our first Vandy article on mlb.com

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Re: We have our first Vandy article on mlb.com

Post by commadore »

"How does a school that was a Southeastern Conference doormat when Corbin took over in 2003 go on to produce 25 percent of the 2018 World Series rotations?"

What an awesome quote! Just think about that. VU pitchers make up 25% of the World Series starters. Has that EVER happened before? Certainly not for us. The other quote that is amazing is that from 1903 until 2003, Vandy had 17 players make it to the pros. Since Corbin got here, we have had 22 more. Do we have the best coach in America or what (and by America, I include the whole of the Western Hemisphere).
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

That is awesome.

I hope Corbin retires here, then gets to hire his successor, and then sticks around as an advisor and quality control guy.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

This says it all:
https://www.mlb.com/news/vanderbilt-uni ... -299673820

"When [former] Chancellor [Gordon] Gee asked me what I felt were the most important things in this facility, I said a classroom and an alumni locker room," Corbin says. "He didn't understand the notion behind the locker room. I said, 'You've got a daughter, right? Even though she's older, you've never closed down her bedroom, have you?' He said, 'Oh, I get it now.'"

"That's how Vanderbilt's baseball program has fostered a family feel, and it's how two pitchers whose paths never intersected in Nashville can feel a kinship even as they stand on opposite sides of this World Series stage."

"Obviously, one of us is going to win a World Series," says Price. "Hopefully it goes to the elder of the Vandy guys."

"That result is still not quite certain, but this Fall Classic already feels like a victory for Vandy."

[And I might add, "A victory for Tim Corbin himself."]
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
Versus75
Admiral

Re: 25 percent of the 2018 World Series rotations

Post by Versus75 »

Make that 30 percent after 5 games and 10 starts, 3 by Vanderbilt pitchers.

Other former U.S. collegians getting starts:
Chris Sale, Florida Gulf Coast
Rich Hill, Michigan

Clayton Kershaw (2 starts), Hyun-Jin Ryu (1), Rick Porcello (1) and Eduardo Rodríguez (1) did not play U.S. collegiate ball.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

And started in 60% of the wins. Price got 2 and while Buehler didn't win, he pitched seven scoreless in the Dodgers only win.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

commadore wrote:"How does a school that was a Southeastern Conference doormat when Corbin took over in 2003 go on to produce 25 percent of the 2018 World Series rotations?"

What an awesome quote! Just think about that. VU pitchers make up 25% of the World Series starters. Has that EVER happened before? Certainly not for us. The other quote that is amazing is that from 1903 until 2003, Vandy had 17 players make it to the pros. Since Corbin got here, we have had 22 more. Do we have the best coach in America or what (and by America, I include the whole of the Western Hemisphere).
^^ This^^^
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

VanDSIRROM wrote:This says it all:
https://www.mlb.com/news/vanderbilt-uni ... -299673820

"When [former] Chancellor [Gordon] Gee asked me what I felt were the most important things in this facility, I said a classroom and an alumni locker room," Corbin says. "He didn't understand the notion behind the locker room. I said, 'You've got a daughter, right? Even though she's older, you've never closed down her bedroom, have you?' He said, 'Oh, I get it now.'"

"That's how Vanderbilt's baseball program has fostered a family feel, and it's how two pitchers whose paths never intersected in Nashville can feel a kinship even as they stand on opposite sides of this World Series stage."

"Obviously, one of us is going to win a World Series," says Price. "Hopefully it goes to the elder of the Vandy guys."

"That result is still not quite certain, but this Fall Classic already feels like a victory for Vandy."

[And I might add, "A victory for Tim Corbin himself."]
Yet the football program wouldn't let former players come back and work out, right? Isn't that was what set off Jordan Rodgers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic