Minor lowers WHIP to Nolan Ryan's level

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Lundy
Captain

Post by Lundy »

from The Texas Rangers : https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/mike-m ... -293365238
Left-hander allows 3 hits, 1 walk in win over Angels
By T.R. Sullivan
Sep. 4th, 2018

ARLINGTON, TX -- Mike Minor again proved that his transition from reliever to starter has been a success this season.

"Not very good," Minor said. "Didn't go deep in the game. Didn't make quality pitches early on. Gave up some stolen bases, hit a guy, walked a guy … it was kind of a grind tonight. Like I said, I didn't make quality pitches."

Minor, in his 25th start, allowed just three hits, walked one batter and the Angels were 0-for-8 against him with runners in scoring position. He left the game after giving up a home run to Shohei Ohtani leading off the sixth inning.

"Tonight he didn't have his best stuff. We have seen him sharper," Rangers manager Jeff Banister said. "The way he mixed pitches, he was able to throw enough strikes to get the outs when he needed them. Pretty gutsy performance by him tonight based on the feel of everything."

Minor is now 5-1 with a 2.78 ERA in his last six starts and 11-7 with a 4.31 ERA in 25 starts on the year. Minor, by allowing just three hits and a walk, also lowered his season WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched) to 1.1, which is an impressive figure for a pitcher who missed all of 2015-16 because of injuries and was used as a reliever by the Royals last year.

"I expected it," Minor said. "That sounds bad, but I think people didn't expect me to have a good season. They thought I should have gone to the bullpen and I wasn't cut out to be a starter anymore. It feels good to end it like this. Couple more starts to go, but it's coming together."

Only four pitchers in Rangers history have made at least 25 starts and had a WHIP lower than 1.1. Three of them are in the Hall of Fame: Ferguson Jenkins (1974, 1978), Bert Blyleven (1976) and Nolan Ryan (1989-91). The other is Yu Darvish in 2013 when he was second in the American League Cy Young voting.

The 1.1 WHIP would also be the eighth lowest in the American League among qualifying pitchers, although Minor is a borderline qualifier. To be a qualifier, a pitcher must throw at least one inning for every game his team has played. Minor has 140 innings through the Rangers' first 139 games with possibly four starts left in the season.

"We couldn't have asked for it to work any better than it has," Banister said. "He'll still get to 29 starts, which I think is an important mark for him to get to. It's important to continue that process with Mike and not push the envelope at all so we still have a guy who is fairly fresh into the offseason, in good shape so that when we get to Spring Training next year, we can take the gloves off and let him run with it."

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Minor lowers WHIP to Nolan Ryan's level

Post by Commodoredave »

If he stays healthy, he's still young enough to have a really good career. He already has 55 career major league wins, and a lot of pitchers are better in their 30's than 20's.
Versus75
Admiral

Could be a Comeback-of-the-Year candidate...

Post by Versus75 »

... despite not previously having a great season. Still, Minor's 13-9 / 3.21 ERA / 181 SO season with the Braves in 2013 was impressive. And he's come from far back, missing a complete season.

OTOH, I would not say Minor lowered his WHIP to Nolan Ryan's Rangers level unless you want to include Ryan's 45- and 46-year-old waning seasons.
Nolan Ryan of the Mets once had a 1.586 WHIP season, but in his first three years with the Rangers his WHIP figures were 1.086, 1.034 and a major-league-leading 1.006!

Nolan Ryan shattered the all-time strikeout record with 5714 Ks, leading his league 11 times in strikeouts. He led the league twice in ERA, three times in complete game shutouts and won 324 in his career. Ryan even earned a save in the Mets' 1969 World Series championship versus the Orioles.

Without cheating, can you tell me how many Cy Young Awards Nolan Ryan won?
dore43
Rear Admiral

Re: Minor lowers WHIP to Nolan Ryan's level

Post by dore43 »

0 ... did he ever even finish runner-up?
Versus75
Admiral

Nolan Ryan ...

Post by Versus75 »

... didn't do much for the Mets in five seasons. Lots of potential. Good strikeout numbers but less than 1K per inning pitched. A BUNCH OF WALKS, more than 6 BB per 9 innings.

But he figured it out after being traded to the Angels along with 3 other players for 30-year-old Jim Fregosi (who washed out badly in Orange and Blue).

Ryan struck out 300+ 5 of his first 6 seasons and had his only two 20-win seasons.

Cy Young finishes included 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 8 and 9.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... no01.shtml
Locked Previous topicNext topic