VU has No. 1 class in final Perfect Game rankings

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

VU has No. 1 class in final Perfect Game rankings

Post by Good2BGold »

With 17 total recruits, 5 in the Top 100, VU's 2018 recruiting class is ranked first in Perfect Game's final rankings with 148 points, 31 points higher than second-place LSU.

Click on the school name to see the list of recruits.

College Recruit Rankings Class of 2018

commadore
Admiral

Re: VU has No. 1 class in final Perfect Game rankings

Post by commadore »

Just think if we'd gotten even ONE of the five we lost. And on a per player rank, only Florida had a higher average. Still, I'd be willing to bet that if you took our top nine and compared it to their total of nine, our average would beat theirs. We had 5 top 100s to their 2.
Lundy
Captain

SEC brethren ...

Post by Lundy »

Note that the SEC makes up half of the Top 25.
Vandyfb1
Lieutenant

Post by Vandyfb1 »

Can anyone else sign with an MLB team or has the deadline passed?
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Vandyfb1 wrote:Can anyone else sign with an MLB team or has the deadline passed?
According to an earlier post on this forum, July 6 was the deadline to sign, so no one else can sign.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Friday was the deadline
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

But can it translate on the field?
Versus75
Admiral

re: But can it translate on the field?

Post by Versus75 »

I like our chances.

7 of our top 8 pitchers in Innings Pitched (Chandler Day is the exception) will be back and complemented by Kumar Rocker (#8 overall PG prospect in the HS class). Among those are the 3 weekend starters, one of whom was a preseason Golden Spike nominee.

The catcher spot is stacked once again, as Duvall may continue to send Scott to LF and Clarke to DH.
Another Golden Spikes nominee -- Infante -- is at 1B with a freshman ranked as the #2 incoming first base prospect (Malcom).
Paul anchors the infield at 2B, with Martin, Gonzalez and Ray likely filling out the infield.
DeMarco and Bleday round out the outfield as Vanderbilt returns an entire veteran batting order.

That leaves room for the others to develop. In addition to Malcom, several other non-pitchers are ranked highly at their positions by Perfect Game.

C ... Dominic Keegan (14)
3B .. Justyn-Henry Malloy (7)
SS .. Cam McMillan (38)
OF .. Isaiah Thomas (26)
OF .. Matt Hogan (56)

And others plus sophomore Cooper Davis. The freshmen have time to develop and prepare to ward off challenges from our likely powerhouse CLASS OF 2019!

That group has 19 members already, 6 of whom are listed as shortstops. Over on the football forum, some posters like to ask, "Can he play tight end?" because so many of our recruits are listed at that position. ... If we get another Class of 2019 commitment, I will ask: Can he play shortstop?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

the "almost" trip to CWS should motivate next year's team - cautiously optimistic, but need to focus on strategic hitting - we left way too many in scoring position. Need to work on that the most from my uninformed perspective.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote:the "almost" trip to CWS should motivate next year's team - cautiously optimistic, but need to focus on strategic hitting - we left way too many in scoring position. Need to work on that the most from my uninformed perspective.
We also need to work on simply making contact. Going the other way when the pitch is thrown outside. Not trying to hit it in the bleachers every time. Also work on bunting. We simply sucked at bunting this year, a trait that used to be a Corb's specialty. But #1, we need to make contact and cut down on the strikeouts, which lead the league, if I'm not mistaken.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

commadore wrote:
charlestonalum wrote:the "almost" trip to CWS should motivate next year's team - cautiously optimistic, but need to focus on strategic hitting - we left way too many in scoring position. Need to work on that the most from my uninformed perspective.
We also need to work on simply making contact. Going the other way when the pitch is thrown outside. Not trying to hit it in the bleachers every time. Also work on bunting. We simply sucked at bunting this year, a trait that used to be a Corb's specialty. But #1, we need to make contact and cut down on the strikeouts, which lead the league, if I'm not mistaken.
I second this. Even the good teams and all-American players struck out too much. When you can't bring guys home from 3rd or advance guys from 2nd with 0 or 1 outs, it just takes the air out of the offense. Way too many strikeouts when the margin for victory is so small.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Commodoredave wrote:
commadore wrote:
I second this. Even the good teams and all-American players struck out too much. When you can't bring guys home from 3rd or advance guys from 2nd with 0 or 1 outs, it just takes the air out of the offense. Way too many strikeouts when the margin for victory is so small.
Yeah, how many games can a team win when they strand 16 men on base? :(
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

My biggest concern is with so few coaches allowed, how is Corbin going to "coach " all this talent to maximize their skills. Developing good hitting skills and developing pitching skills takes time. I felt that we lacked that last year. What will be different? Maybe that is where these ex-VU big leaguers could help.
Locked Previous topicNext topic