Chris Lemonis hired at Mississippi St

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Chris Lemonis hired at Mississippi St

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

No one posted anything on this, even though it occurred a couple of days ago, so I thought I would share the news that Chris Lemonis, the head coach at Indiana, was hired at MSU earlier this week. Lemonis is well-regarded as a recruiter, particularly from his earlier work as an assistant at Louisville.

What's interesting about it is that AD John Cohen was obviously determined not to hire interim coach Gary Henderson regardless of what happened in the CWS.

Doresince89
Commander

Re: Chris Lemonis hired at Mississippi St

Post by Doresince89 »

Although it seems like what Coach Henderson accomplished this year earned him the head coach job, I don't second guess any program that wants to do a full search to fill a job. I remember when Indiana fired Knight and a coach with no experience was named interim coach (Mike Davis). He was given a full year to see what he would do and he took them to the NCAA championship game that year. IU was pressured to give him a multi-year deal and although he is and was a very likeable guy, he was not ready for the job. IU has not recovered from that mistake.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Doresince89 wrote:Although it seems like what Coach Henderson accomplished this year earned him the head coach job, I don't second guess any program that wants to do a full search to fill a job. I remember when Indiana fired Knight and a coach with no experience was named interim coach (Mike Davis). He was given a full year to see what he would do and he took them to the NCAA championship game that year. IU was pressured to give him a multi-year deal and although he is and was a very likeable guy, he was not ready for the job. IU has not recovered from that mistake.
They will this year, with Romeo's Dad leading the charge!
3Lines
Rear Admiral

Post by 3Lines »

Lemonis to his wife, "Honey, I've got some good news and some bad news..."
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

The MSU fans I know were insisting all along that Henderson would not get the job, even as they progressed in the CWS. It seems nuts, but I do understand a long range view. Cohen knows Henderson well and just doesn't believe in his ability to manage a program over the long term. We'll see how it ultimately works out, but that team should be loaded next year if they can find some more arms. Mangum is back, and the freshman class was outstanding.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Do we have room for Henderson on our staff. MSU had the kind of plate discipline I'd like to see out hitters develop.

And they could bunt too. I thought we were better than them - except in situational hitting where they excelled. They also knew how to foul off a good pitch. I thought they appeared to be well-coached.

We are also very well-coached - make no mistake. But I thought the guy did a good job with MSU and I think they may regret not hiring him.
Locked Previous topicNext topic