Ever wonder what's going on with Derek Johnson?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Ever wonder what's going on with Derek Johnson?

Post by VanDSIRROM »

As most know Johnson moved up to MLB Brewer's pitching coach job. Here is an in-depth interview worth reading.

A sample of what's in the article: "Q. You coached at three colleges before reaching a major school at Vanderbilt, then was the minor-league pitching coordinator for the Cubs before finally reaching the major leagues. Would it be accurate to call you a grinder?"

A. "The funny part about it is, every place I was at I thought was going to be the last place I would be at. Early on at Southern Illinois I was a graduate assistant, so I knew that I would have to move eventually from there. But once I got to Stetson I loved it there, I loved the coaches, I loved the school, I loved the town and honestly, I could have seen myself there for the rest of my career. Then Vanderbilt showed up and I took that job and it was the same thing. I was there for 10 years and I really didn’t have huge intentions of leaving. Then the Cubs called. So it’s been one of those things – maybe right place at the right time or whatever. But gosh, I got some really incredible opportunities, and I took them."

"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD