Ethan Paul announces on Instagram that he's returning

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Ethan Paul announces on Instagram that he's returning

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

commadore
Admiral

Re: Ethan Paul announces on Instagram that he's returning

Post by commadore »

Wow. We are going to have some unhappy freshmen.
surlyrich
Petty Officer

Post by surlyrich »

Or we have freshmen that are better than returners and competition rules. EP was pretty good defensively but struck out way too much. Had a great moment in the Supers with the bottom of the 9th hr but wasn't nearly consistent enough with the bat for a second baseman. Needs to put the ball in play more, move runners over, have productive outs. EP will play professionally but not long as a power hitter.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

EP played above average defense this year, and I always thought he hit the ball better than the numbers have shown. As a freshman, he was one of the toughest outs on the team.
I know there are folks worried about their AB's, but the best of the best will survive and competition should elevate everyone's game. I'm still not sure we have elite guys who lead like Dansby and Carson, but it sure looks like we're on the verge of another couple of golden years.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

He is a lot better than 235
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

wonderful to have him return - will be a team leader as well
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Still not sure how we are going to keep all these guys on the roster. Do redshirts count against the 35?

15 freshman coming in. 15 current freshmen who will be soph's. 7 true soph who will be jr. 3 redshirt Soph turning into redshirt Jr(Franklin, Kentress, Wilson.. I'm not sure what these 3 are doing. Thought I heard Wilson might be leaving?) 4 Juniors we know are coming back (Raby, Infante, Scott, Paul). Grisanti wasnt drafted was he? So is he coming back? What is Alonzo doing?

15+15+7+4 = 41. That doesnt count the redshirt JRs nor Grisanti or Alonzo.

Do we ever not invite people back?
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Alonzo signed with the A's.
I don't expect Grisanti to return, but that's just a guess based on not really having a place to play.
I don't see where those RS soph have a spot either. If you haven't made an impact yet, there just isn't space. They can seek transfer or go into school in the fall and compete for a spot with the understanding that the odds are against them. This is the uncomfortable part of managing the baseball roster when the coaches are faced with decisions about who is and isn't on the team.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

Going to be hard to make the roster hitting 150
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

fldore wrote: Do we ever not invite people back?
I don't know how Vanderbilt handles that situation, but I would hope it would be along the lines of: "We don't have room for you on the 35 man roster. You are welcome to continue your education at Vanderbilt, where you will have access to the normal need-based Financial Aid that is available for all other undergraduate students. However, you will not be able to be part of the baseball team. If you choose to continue your baseball career elsewhere, we will do everything we can to assist you in that process". The kids that come to Vanderbilt are considering not just the great baseball, but the great education that Vanderbilt provides, and I would hope that Vanderbilt doesn't take that opportunity away from anyone that wants it.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Commodoredave wrote:Alonzo signed with the A's.
If I'm not mistaken, Alonzo was picked by someone (SEC coaches? can't remember exactly who) as the projected freshman of the year prior to his first season. And he did some good things that first year. He was blessed with some A+ speed. I certaintly expected him to be an outstanding Dore before his career was over. Contact seemed to be the big issue. I'm sure he's disappointed with the way things turned out, but who knows, maybe something will click in the pros. The "grand slam that wasn't" against MTSU last year may be his biggest legacy. Good luck to him.
Locked Previous topicNext topic