Plethora of Pitchers

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

Plethora of Pitchers

Post by geeznotagain »

A quick glance at our end-of-year roster shows that out of 36 roster spots, more than half (19) are pitchers. I don't know enough about college rosters to know if that includes injured players (I'm guessing yes, given there's no DL in college), or red-shirts who are sitting out the season. But isn't that a high pitcher/position player ratio? Is this typical for a college team?

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Plethora of Pitchers

Post by VUaskew »

Whatever happened to Michael Sandborn?
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Can't have too much pitching.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Commodoredave wrote:Can't have too much pitching.

I would modify that statement by saying that you can't have too much good (or at least decent) pitching.

According to our stat sheet, we had 17 pitchers who actually threw a pitch. 4 of those pitched < 10 innings, another 3 pitched < 15. Seems like we had a lot of marginal contributors -- either due to injury or poor performance. So 10 of the 19 roster pitchers ate up most of the innings. Did we maximize the use of those other 9 roster spots? I'm assuming here that the roster size is not unlimited, but I'm not totally sure. I know the # of scholarships is limited. If a bunch of guys don't want or need a scholly (or get need-based aid), can you have 50 players on your roster (as unwieldy as that would be)?
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

We need a roster of 10 great pitchers. If you are not in the top ten, then develop a new pitch or two. Compete if you have the skill!
wdsmith45
Seaman

Post by wdsmith45 »

NCAA baseball rosters are capped at 35 players, only 27 players can receive financial aid, each of whom must receive at least one-third of a full scholarship. There could be as many as 45 players in the fall. The roster will have to be trimmed.
Locked Previous topicNext topic