Was this really a CWS team?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Was this really a CWS team?

Post by geeznotagain »

commadore wrote:
geeznotagain wrote:
charlestonalum wrote:judging by the team that edged us out for the CWS - I would say we belonged and if had only scored any of our runners against State we would be in great shape in the CWS: we should be hungry next year, knowing what almost was.

I never thought the hunger in year X because of disappointment/near miss in year X-1 was very relevant. For fans, yes. For teams, not so much. NOTE: I minored in psychology, so this is not just some off-the-cuff, amateurish observation.
I don't know, it sounds like the guys that have announced they are coming back for their senior year are pretty hungry.
Different sport, but brings to mind the year when Jenkins, Taylor, and Festus -- all of who might have turned pro -- returned to VU with fire in their belly for a final year. I believe we were ranked in the top 10 pre-season. That season was a bit of a disappointment.

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote:
commadore wrote:
geeznotagain wrote:

I never thought the hunger in year X because of disappointment/near miss in year X-1 was very relevant. For fans, yes. For teams, not so much. NOTE: I minored in psychology, so this is not just some off-the-cuff, amateurish observation.
I don't know, it sounds like the guys that have announced they are coming back for their senior year are pretty hungry.
Different sport, but brings to mind the year when Jenkins, Taylor, and Festus -- all of who might have turned pro -- returned to VU with fire in their belly for a final year. I believe we were ranked in the top 10 pre-season. That season was a bit of a disappointment.
True, dat.
ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

We never will know the answer to this, but with MSU in really good shape to get to the finals and the fact we probably should have beaten them, I wonder if we could have beaten the same teams. Maybe we were an outstretched glove against Duvall (or a million other things) from getting to the championship series- and who knows what could have happened there.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

charlestonalum wrote:Geez, unfinished business is a pretty strong motivator - might have to look this up some more to support my position, but from my English major I remember a very poignant poem by Emily Dickinson

"Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne're succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Not one of all the purple host
Who took the flag to-day
Can tell the definition,
So clear, of victory,

As he, defeated, dying,
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Break, agonized and clear."
Would these sentiments support or refute Robert Herick's famous lines:

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
Old Time is still a -flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse and worst
Times still succeed the former.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

geeznotagain wrote:
charlestonalum wrote:Geez, unfinished business is a pretty strong motivator - might have to look this up some more to support my position, but from my English major I remember a very poignant poem by Emily Dickinson

"Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne're succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Not one of all the purple host
Who took the flag to-day
Can tell the definition,
So clear, of victory,

As he, defeated, dying,
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Break, agonized and clear."
Would these sentiments support or refute Robert Herick's famous lines:

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
Old Time is still a -flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse and worst
Times still succeed the former.
I can't answer your question...but I sure love the prose...I hope more gets posted...
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic