Was this really a CWS team?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Was this really a CWS team?

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Personally, I think this team maxed out. Sure, it would have been nice to get to Omaha, but all things considered - our youth, inconsistent bullpen, Infante's hibernation and Bleday's prolonged absence - made this a pretty good but not CWS worthy team.

Now next year's team has the potential to be special. Our freshmen will be sophomores. Someone will claim third base. Others will emerge from our roster. Infante and Raby will come back to prove their worth. And there's a serious influx of new talent coming in, including much-needed pitching depth and a potential weekend starter in Rocker.

There's definitely a good deal of momentum going into the off-season.
Last edited by DeefromAtlanta on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Was this really a CWS team?

Post by Commodoredave »

We certainly weren't going to win the CWS, and a month ago I would have been thrilled to be in Game 3 of the supers at home. That knowledge helps, but today the disappointment is real. Had two shots to walk it off, even after leaving guys on 3rd all night long.

If the bullpen can get some things figured out, and we can find infield defenders, we have a real shot at making a serious run in Omaha the next two years.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

We left the bases loaded at least three times last night.

For the weekend, we left 35 runners on base. I couldn't find what we did with RISP, but it had to be horrendous.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

DeefromAtlanta wrote:Personally, I think this team maxed out. Sure, it would have been nice to get to Omaha, but all things considered - our youth, inconsistent bullpen, Infante's hibernation and Bleday's prolonged absence - made this a pretty good but not CWS worthy team.

Now next year's team has the potential to be special. Our freshmen will be sophomores. Someone will claim third base. Others will emerge from our roster. Infante and Raby will come back to prove their worth. And there's a serious influx of new talent coming in, including much-needed pitching depth and a potential weekend starter in Rocker.

Ray claimed third last night.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

DeefromAtlanta wrote:We left the bases loaded at least three times last night...For the weekend, we left 35 runners on base. I couldn't find what we did with RISP, but it had to be horrendous.
Not to mention that the first-base ump gifted MSU in the first inning, ruling that our hit that was CLEARLY deflected in fair ground by the MSU first baseman, was nevertheless a foul ball. Our runner on third base strolls home easily if that not-very-difficult call is made correctly. If we're properly credited with that one-run, we win by a run in 9 innings.

I agree with the overall sentiment, that this VU team's performance over the course of the season did not "warrant" us going to Omaha. But our performance over the course of the Regionals & Super-Regionals, if umped correctly, did.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

In retrospect, it was a great year for a good (read: not your typical) 2018 team. To be on the brink of missing the NCAA cut altogether, and come within an inning or two of Omaha was a great run.

That said, I never thought we were a serious contender. We are couple of pitchers and a good hitting 1B and 3B (no offense to Harry - he's not a power guy) from being really good. I love our Freshman class.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

DeefromAtlanta wrote:Personally, I think this team maxed out. Sure, it would have been nice to get to Omaha, but all things considered - our youth, inconsistent bullpen, Infante's hibernation and Bleday's prolonged absence - made this a pretty good but not CWS worthy team.

This nails it for me. After being on the brink of having the season fall apart on a couple occasions, this team really turned it around and I agree, "maxed out" its potential. Looking forward to next season!
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

You could make the argument that Miss. State isn't really a CWS team either. They have serious problems with their bullpen. I don't think they'll last very long.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Miss St will be in Or ST bracket and they are LOADED. Will not be a good match up for the bulldogs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Golddore68 wrote:You could make the argument that Miss. State isn't really a CWS team either. They have serious problems with their bullpen. I don't think they'll last very long.
Agreed. We and MSU had a shot to slip into the CWS when we probably shouldn't have been there. MSU won't win it but they get CWS No. 10 on their program resume and their players will gain the experience of being there. We'll be a lot better next year.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

Golddore68 wrote:You could make the argument that Miss. State isn't really a CWS team either. They have serious problems with their bullpen. I don't think they'll last very long.
This is entirely true. It added to my frustration, that we didn't quite beat them, the fact that they were at least as undeserving of the CWS as we were.

My daughter-in-law is an OSU grad & big fan, so I will have no problem rooting for the Beavers (unlike last year, when they were not only our SuperRegional opponent, but also lead by an ace pitcher who should never have been allowed to play, by any university.
Otis Day
Commander

Post by Otis Day »

vebiltdervan wrote:
This is entirely true. It added to my frustration, that we didn't quite beat them, the fact that they were at least as undeserving of the CWS as we were.

My daughter-in-law is an OSU grad & big fan, so I will have no problem rooting for the Beavers (unlike last year, when they were not only our SuperRegional opponent, but also lead by an ace pitcher who should never have been allowed to play, by any university.
You realize said ace is still OSU's ace this year??
"Fight on, my men," Sir Andrew said, "a little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed awhile, and I’ll rise and fight again."
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Mississippi State wasn't a CWS team and we didn't play like we belonged eithewr. However, if you had told me that we had a chance to go to Omaha in the bottom of the ninth in game three of a super regional at home, I would have bet the farm.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

All I can say is that this team would be there if our pitching had performed as well as they had recently. We certainly appeared to mature late in the year and dominated the #6 team on their home field. It would have been a great learning experience for the players and the best talent doesn’t always win the Championship. Oregan St would have been extremely difficult to beat, but I believe we could have presented them with as tough a challenge as anyone in their bracket. As the saying goes, that’s why they play the games. UF, Ark and OSU look to be the best teams, but I believe we could have held our own with the other teams.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

I take it all back after watching North Carolina today.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

judging by the team that edged us out for the CWS - I would say we belonged and if had only scored any of our runners against State we would be in great shape in the CWS: we should be hungry next year, knowing what almost was.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote:judging by the team that edged us out for the CWS - I would say we belonged and if had only scored any of our runners against State we would be in great shape in the CWS: we should be hungry next year, knowing what almost was.

Plus what we have coming back and coming in. Can't help but be decided.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

charlestonalum wrote:judging by the team that edged us out for the CWS - I would say we belonged and if had only scored any of our runners against State we would be in great shape in the CWS: we should be hungry next year, knowing what almost was.

I never thought the hunger in year X because of disappointment/near miss in year X-1 was very relevant. For fans, yes. For teams, not so much. NOTE: I minored in psychology, so this is not just some off-the-cuff, amateurish observation.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote:

I never thought the hunger in year X because of disappointment/near miss in year X-1 was very relevant. For fans, yes. For teams, not so much. NOTE: I minored in psychology, so this is not just some off-the-cuff, amateurish observation.
I don't know, it sounds like the guys that have announced they are coming back for their senior year are pretty hungry.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Geez, unfinished business is a pretty strong motivator - might have to look this up some more to support my position, but from my English major I remember a very poignant poem by Emily Dickinson

"Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne're succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Not one of all the purple host
Who took the flag to-day
Can tell the definition,
So clear, of victory,

As he, defeated, dying,
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Break, agonized and clear."