Where was Schaller?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Where was Schaller?

Post by EllistonVU »

Did he play at all in this series??

cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Re: Where was Schaller?

Post by cjdore »

Pitched his usual 1 innings in 2 games. Corbs used him appropriately I thought tonight is that he used him as a true closer. I just wished he had left him in for another inning. Miss St batters were having a difficult time with his FB
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

He played right after I started the thread.

should have played game 1 when either of the 2 pitchers used started to get tired
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Agreed. If you have a true closer like Schaller, then you use him in that capacity every time. I love Corbs but at times he is too loyal to his pitchers rather than allowing each to fill their role. All year I have said that Chandler was a great middle reliever and could chew up innings in the middle and then we should follow up that with Schaller who opposing teams may have a problem adjusting to his speed.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

cjdore wrote:Agreed. If you have a true closer like Schaller, then you use him in that capacity every time. I love Corbs but at times he is too loyal to his pitchers rather than allowing each to fill their role. All year I have said that Chandler was a great middle reliever and could chew up innings in the middle and then we should follow up that with Schaller who opposing teams may have a problem adjusting to his speed.
"Stubborn to a fault" was the expression used for a former basketball coach and it's starting to seem appropriate for Corbs. As great as he is, he's not perfect.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I know Schaller can throw really hard and all, but he wasn't exactly stellar all season. Teams hit .287 on him, which was the highest BAA on the team, and much of that was against lesser competition.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

cjdore wrote:Agreed. If you have a true closer like Schaller, then you use him in that capacity every time. I love Corbs but at times he is too loyal to his pitchers rather than allowing each to fill their role. All year I have said that Chandler was a great middle reliever and could chew up innings in the middle and then we should follow up that with Schaller who opposing teams may have a problem adjusting to his speed.
I watched all but a couple of games in their entirety this season, and I am baffled by the contention that Schaller is a "true closer." He never showed me that. In fact, it's only in the past few weeks that I thought he could be trusted in any role. Prior to the postseason, if you take out the two games he started (in which he gave up 3 earned runs in five innings for a 5.40 ERA), Schaller gave up nine earned runs in 19 innings of relief for an ERA of 4.26. Not exactly what you are looking for in a closer. Now in the postseason, he was perfect: 4.2 innings pitched and no earned runs. But his regular season appearances were simply not that good, and certainly were no indication Schaller is a "true closer."
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Good2BGold wrote:
I watched all but a couple of games in their entirety this season, and I am baffled by the contention that Schaller is a "true closer." He never showed me that. In fact, it's only in the past few weeks that I thought he could be trusted in any role. Prior to the postseason, if you take out the two games he started (in which he gave up 3 earned runs in five innings for a 5.40 ERA), Schaller gave up nine earned runs in 19 innings of relief for an ERA of 4.26. Not exactly what you are looking for in a closer. Now in the postseason, he was perfect: 4.2 innings pitched and no earned runs. But his regular season appearances were simply not that good, and certainly were no indication Schaller is a "true closer."
Oh contraire, the stats you put forth make my argument that Schaller was a closer. Corbs tried to use him as starter and he kind of struggled. Used as a 1 inning closer he thrived. Maybe this would indicate that for one inning a flame thrower can use his superior fastball to get thru an inning. Asa starter he must see same batters multiple times and some are sure to make adjustments to speed of his delivery.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

cjdore wrote:
Good2BGold wrote:
Oh contraire, the stats you put forth make my argument that Schaller was a closer. Corbs tried to use him as starter and he kind of struggled. Used as a 1 inning closer he thrived. Maybe this would indicate that for one inning a flame thrower can use his superior fastball to get thru an inning. Asa starter he must see same batters multiple times and some are sure to make adjustments to speed of his delivery.
No, the stats I quoted don't make your argument. They show he wasn't effective out of the bullpen prior to the postseason. Of his 14 relief appearances, he had two appearances of two innings and one of three, but 11 appearances out of the pen were less than two innings. So being used mostly in one-inning situations, he posted an ERA of 4.26, which is simply not good enough for a closer.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

He was in there for the eighth I believe. For some inexplicable reason, he was not there in the 9th. That cost us the game in my opinion.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

He was in there for the eighth I believe. For some inexplicable reason, he was not there in the 9th. That cost us the game in my opinion.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

vujoe wrote:He was in there for the eighth I believe. For some inexplicable reason, he was not there in the 9th. That cost us the game in my opinion.
You can say that again.

You can say that again.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Good2BGold wrote:
cjdore wrote:
Good2BGold wrote:
No, the stats I quoted don't make your argument. They show he wasn't effective out of the bullpen prior to the postseason. Of his 14 relief appearances, he had two appearances of two innings and one of three, but 11 appearances out of the pen were less than two innings. So being used mostly in one-inning situations, he posted an ERA of 4.26, which is simply not good enough for a closer.
The experts using their draft picks and money would differ with your opinion.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

cjdore wrote:
Good2BGold wrote:
cjdore wrote: Oh contraire, the stats you put forth make my argument that Schaller was a closer. Corbs tried to use him as starter and he kind of struggled. Used as a 1 inning closer he thrived. Maybe this would indicate that for one inning a flame thrower can use his superior fastball to get thru an inning. Asa starter he must see same batters multiple times and some are sure to make adjustments to speed of his delivery.
The experts using their draft picks and money would differ with your opinion.
Oh, really? You know for a fact that he was drafted because he's a "true closer"? I'm not saying the kid isn't talented — I'm questioning your contention he is a true closer, a contention which Schaller's stats don't support. 4.26 is not the ERA of a "true closer." But don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion since you clearly can't admit your contention is wrong.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Not sure what the point is in sharing that. Nowhere does anyone representing the Nats say they consider Schaller a closer.
Locked Previous topicNext topic