My plate of crow!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

My plate of crow!

Post by commadore »

Little over two weeks ago I said we would be lucky to go 1-7 the rest of the way. What I didn't realize was that JJ Bleday was going to come back, keep his hot bat, and ignite the rest of the team to play like a house a fire.
BBQ'd that old crow tonight and put some hot sauce on it and it was GGGGGGOOOOODDDDD!
Keep it rolling Dores!

vufan1
Rear Admiral

Re: My plate of crow!

Post by vufan1 »

Same here. Agreed with someone's assessment that if we went 6-2 our last 8 games that we'd be safe for the NCAA tourny, but didn't see any way we'd do it, especially after we looked so inept against UL.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

We had a lot of players batting well besides Bleday. Wonder what happened to suddenly improve the batting. The batting coaches only get the credit when we are batting poorly. Scott, Demarco, Clarke and company did well and Infante made some gains too.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

All of you know more about baseball than I do, but I will make my theory:

Our team had lost several games in a row when the UT Vols came up on the schedule. At that point it looked very possible that the Vols, and not Vanderbilt, might make the SEC tournament.

The moment that the Vols and their orange uniforms ran onto that field against Vanderbilt, everyone in a black uniform knew that it was time to get the act together.

And they did. From that moment on, a team that HAD lost 6 in a row won 6 of its last 7.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

memphisVUalum wrote:We had a lot of players batting well besides Bleday. Wonder what happened to suddenly improve the batting. The batting coaches only get the credit when we are batting poorly. Scott, Demarco, Clarke and company did well and Infante made some gains too.
This has been discussed a lot already, but with Bleday in the lineup, he protects some other batters that they could basically pitch around without him. Knowing he is coming up, they have to pitch to the guys in front of him and now they are hitting the ball. Once you start hitting it, it starts to look like a beachball and goes from there.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

commadore wrote:
memphisVUalum wrote:We had a lot of players batting well besides Bleday. Wonder what happened to suddenly improve the batting. The batting coaches only get the credit when we are batting poorly. Scott, Demarco, Clarke and company did well and Infante made some gains too.
This has been discussed a lot already, but with Bleday in the lineup, he protects some other batters that they could basically pitch around without him. Knowing he is coming up, they have to pitch to the guys in front of him and now they are hitting the ball. Once you start hitting it, it starts to look like a beachball and goes from there.

Thanks, ,dore...the stats seem to show that you know whereof you speak... :)
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic