Mike Baxter, Hitting Coach

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Mike Baxter, Hitting Coach

Post by Levon »

I didn't get to watch any of the games but listened to all 3 on radio. One of the biggest takeaways seems to be a newfound plate discipline. 38 hits, 10 walks and only 20 Ks against a top-25 opponent. 7 strikeouts per game in college baseball is quite good. The only logical conclusion is new hitting coach Mike Baxter. Whatever he's doing he needs to keep doing it. Welcome back to Nashville, Coach!

The other big takeaway is this freshman class, both position players and pitchers. This season has a chance to be special!

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Mike Baxter, Hitting Coach

Post by Commodoredave »

Was talking about this very thing with some folks on Twitter. Very early to draw many conclusions, but Duke is a good team, and we really hit the ball this weekend.
ScrappyDore
Captain

Post by ScrappyDore »

I noted pre-season that I thought this was the best position player class ever. And after week one I am now convinced this is true. We still have not seen all at the plate, but what we did see was 4 potential freshmen AA and even though Solomon struck out looking, his swing and plate discipline looked very good.

It is not just the freshmen though, A Jones looks like a different player at the plate. Kaiser looks better. Scott is very confident. I am not worried about Infante, he just had a tough week. He will hit.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

I agree probably best position player class since 2011 ,IMO we needed to center more on position players. They have a very high ceiling, I am very excited about the future.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Didn't get to see the games but I'm hoping the new hitting philosophy involves shortening the swing radius and protecting the plate on two strike counts.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

So far so good!
Locked Previous topicNext topic