OPENING DAY! Forecast ...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

OPENING DAY! Forecast ...

Post by Versus75 »

... seems to be okay for today: Cloudy, 46 degrees f, winds 10-12 mph, with 5%-15% chance of rain.

Sunday warmer and still low chance of rain.

But I'm concerned about Saturday, especially as I plan to drive from Louisville for the Baseball-Basketball double-header.

Saturday Weather Forecast
42 degrees f at noon with 100% chance of rain. If they try to start that game it may be delayed off and on and eventually finish AFTER THE END OF THE BASKETBALL GAME.

I thought there might be talk of playing a double-header tonight. Has anyone heard? I phoned the baseball office and left a voice mail; will let you know if I hear anything.

Other Opening Day news: The Vanderbilt Twitter page has a Corbin interview from this morning.

https://twitter.com/VandyBaseball

Corbs said that 12 of the freshmen played in a college summer league. That's impressive.

Q: "How tough was it to get down to 35 players?"

A: "Really tough...." (no specifics, however, which I expected)

I see that the roster is now at 34 with Alex Brewer's departure.

Of the 37 players listed on the vucommodores.com roster, only Gobillot is not listed on the Game Notes (page 15).

55 Joe Gobillot L/L LHP 6-6/240 FR St. John's - Houston, Texas

However, the Game Notes goes on to list a breakdown by class that includes only 35 players and not:

52 David Bates R/R RHP 6-5/215 FR Christ Presbyterian Academy - Franklin, Tenn.

... does anyone know if these players are injured or perhaps just didn't make the cut? I wonder if the Brewer opening will affect their status.

Veteran Opponents
Speaking of the Game Notes: Duke's notes suggest a starting batting lineup that includes 3 seniors and 5 juniors, all of whom started at least 40 games. One of the projected starting pitchers is a senior. Great experience, including two all-conference juniors (Conine and Herron). Will certainly be a tough series.