schedules
rosters
news
standings
tickets
vucommodores link by sport
forum
FTB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
MBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
WBB_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_
BAS_LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK__LINK_

Stephen Scott to return in 2019

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates


DeefromAtlanta
Posts: 6998
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 pm

That's good news.

geeznotagain
Posts: 6501
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby geeznotagain » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 pm

DeefromAtlanta wrote:That's good news.


For everybody except Duvall. I really think, given a chance to play everyday, Duvall's bat could help us. Can he play left, or first? If not maybe just DH. I haven't seen enough of his work behind the plate to know how he compares to Scott in terms of defensive skills. Corbs apparently likes Scott better there, so who am I to question?

But yes, for the team it is good news if Scott comes back for another year.

GooseJones15
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby GooseJones15 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 am

Ty is better defensively and has a good bat,but Scott lead cape cod last year in home runs we got 3 outstanding catchers. Had a commit from ga Will Benfeld but probably will lose him to the draft

User avatar
charlestonalum
Posts: 7824
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:37 am
Location: Charleston, SC
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby charlestonalum » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:50 am

there is usually no substitute for experience and the more we have the better - Scott's return is a good thing and of all the positions, catcher is probably the one that depth is key because of the daily wear and tear on players at that position. Welcome back, Steve. (I think back on my time and the senior year at Vanderbilt is my fondest memory - too bad all the players don't get to have those memories.)


User avatar
AuricGoldfinger
Posts: 11690
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby AuricGoldfinger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:48 am

Scott can also play the outfield, so there's that possibility.

DeefromAtlanta
Posts: 6998
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 am

And DH

Commodoredave
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby Commodoredave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:14 am

Great to have Scott back, but I agree that Duvall is ready to excel in an expanded role. He has put together some really strong AB's and he is 100% healthy after the TJ two years ago. We need his left handed bat. The MSU defender made a play on a ball Duvall smashed in the corner right after the Paul homer, or we'd still be playing. Duvall also smashed one deep to left center that Mangum ran down in his Friday attempt. This kid can play.

We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.

dcdore
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby dcdore » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 am

Commodoredave wrote:
We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.


Yeah. So many guys, only 35 spots. Anyone have any insight?
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD

User avatar
fldore
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby fldore » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am

Commodoredave wrote:We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.


I was asking about this on another thread. Who wont be invited back next year that has eligibility? We have 15 true freshman on our team this year. And I think we have 15 new guys coming in next year? That already puts you at 30. Bleday, Fellows, Gillis, Ray, Duvall, etc... are sophomores. Raby, Infante, and Scott coming back as seniors. Admittedly I dont know all the rules in terms of number of players allowed, if you an stash players off roster somehow, etc... but if it is purely a count of 35 guys, I'm not sure how you get there.

As far as Scott, the stat head types may tell you he was he our best hitter this past year. And if not our best, 2nd best behind Bleday. OBP over 400, Slugging over 600 so OPS over 1,000. Led the team in HR even though he had a reduced number of atbats. Strikeout rate pretty abysmal but hopefully will more atbats, that rate would come down.
CNN - "The facts don't drive the narrative, the narrative drives the facts. Welcome to the party, pal!"
VU# Fl@g @AD

Commodoredave
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby Commodoredave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:04 pm

dcdore wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:
We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.


Yeah. So many guys, only 35 spots. Anyone have any insight?


The Chris Lee podcast this week had a good discussion of this.

wdsmith45
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 am
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby wdsmith45 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:09 pm

dcdore wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:
We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.


Yeah. So many guys, only 35 spots. Anyone have any insight?



You might get a couple to transfer out if they feel they are not going to get playing time. Usually will have one injured ....maybe red shirt, though it's more difficult to RS than in the past.

You could have a grade issue before the roster has to be turned in which is about 10 days prior to the first game in Feb. Better be ready to show your stuff this fall.

BWestbrook
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby BWestbrook » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Raby, Infante and some Freshman will not be back giving room for the new class. I would think Paul would be back after only hitting 235 this year, he is a better hitter than 235. Will Day come back?

AtrumEtAureum
Posts: 2735
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 am
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby AtrumEtAureum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 am

BWestbrook wrote:Raby, Infante and some Freshman will not be back giving room for the new class. I would think Paul would be back after only hitting 235 this year, he is a better hitter than 235. Will Day come back?


Link? Or is this just supposition?

User avatar
fldore
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby fldore » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 am

Commodoredave wrote:
dcdore wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:
We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.


Yeah. So many guys, only 35 spots. Anyone have any insight?


The Chris Lee podcast this week had a good discussion of this.


I listened to one of his podcasts recently. I may have missed the one you are taking about, but he mentioned the roster crunch in what I listened to. I was hoping he'd go into speculation about who he thought wouldnt be back from either our current freshman, soph, or draft eligible guys that didnt get drafted. But the podcast I listened to didnt get to that level. Was talking more about the guys who were drafted and if they'd go to the MLB. I might have missed a more thorough one.
CNN - "The facts don't drive the narrative, the narrative drives the facts. Welcome to the party, pal!"
VU# Fl@g @AD

BWestbrook
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby BWestbrook » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:59 pm

AtrumEtAureum wrote:
BWestbrook wrote:Raby, Infante and some Freshman will not be back giving room for the new class. I would think Paul would be back after only hitting 235 this year, he is a better hitter than 235. Will Day come back?


Link? Or is this just supposition?


Supposition

User avatar
Matt2309
Posts: 2270
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby Matt2309 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Commodoredave wrote:Great to have Scott back, but I agree that Duvall is ready to excel in an expanded role. He has put together some really strong AB's and he is 100% healthy after the TJ two years ago. We need his left handed bat. The MSU defender made a play on a ball Duvall smashed in the corner right after the Paul homer, or we'd still be playing. Duvall also smashed one deep to left center that Mangum ran down in his Friday attempt. This kid can play.

We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.

You'd have to put Scott in left field since we'll already have Clake as DH. That's what I'm guessing Tim's gonna do, unless there's a different outfielder that's playing really well and Scott stays at catcher

BWestbrook
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby BWestbrook » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:53 pm

AtrumEtAureum wrote:
BWestbrook wrote:Raby, Infante and some Freshman will not be back giving room for the new class. I would think Paul would be back after only hitting 235 this year, he is a better hitter than 235. Will Day come back?


Link? Or is this just supposition?


Supposition

Commodoredave
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby Commodoredave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 am

Matt2309 wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:Great to have Scott back, but I agree that Duvall is ready to excel in an expanded role. He has put together some really strong AB's and he is 100% healthy after the TJ two years ago. We need his left handed bat. The MSU defender made a play on a ball Duvall smashed in the corner right after the Paul homer, or we'd still be playing. Duvall also smashed one deep to left center that Mangum ran down in his Friday attempt. This kid can play.

We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.

You'd have to put Scott in left field since we'll already have Clake as DH. That's what I'm guessing Tim's gonna do, unless there's a different outfielder that's playing really well and Scott stays at catcher


I suspect all 3 of these guys will get good reps, and each will at least get some time behind the plate. Clarke is a draft eligible soph, so they are going to work with him to improve his stock, which means he can't just DH. All 3 of these guys will be drafted at the end of 2019. A completely uninformed opinion is that the primary lineup involves Martin moving to SS, Demarco to CF, and then Scott to LF when it is obvious that Duvall is ready to catch 40 games next year.

commadore
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen Scott to return in 2019

Postby commadore » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Commodoredave wrote:
Matt2309 wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:Great to have Scott back, but I agree that Duvall is ready to excel in an expanded role. He has put together some really strong AB's and he is 100% healthy after the TJ two years ago. We need his left handed bat. The MSU defender made a play on a ball Duvall smashed in the corner right after the Paul homer, or we'd still be playing. Duvall also smashed one deep to left center that Mangum ran down in his Friday attempt. This kid can play.

We are going to have a really hard time getting down to 35 next year.

You'd have to put Scott in left field since we'll already have Clake as DH. That's what I'm guessing Tim's gonna do, unless there's a different outfielder that's playing really well and Scott stays at catcher


I suspect all 3 of these guys will get good reps, and each will at least get some time behind the plate. Clarke is a draft eligible soph, so they are going to work with him to improve his stock, which means he can't just DH. All 3 of these guys will be drafted at the end of 2019. A completely uninformed opinion is that the primary lineup involves Martin moving to SS, Demarco to CF, and then Scott to LF when it is obvious that Duvall is ready to catch 40 games next year.


Good observation. We DO need a shortstop, don't we.



Return to “Vanderbilt Baseball”