OT: Swanson and Bregman

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

LawoftheWest

OT: Swanson and Bregman

Postby LawoftheWest » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:47 pm

I remember there were arguments about who was the better player, Bregman or Swanson. I loved Swanson and his attitude, but he hasn't yet made a big splash in the bigs. On the other hand, Bregman is doing just fine for himself.
Swanson has had some hitting problems. Could someone please remind me. Was it that he could not hit major league curve balls?
Thanks.

geeznotagain

Re: OT: Swanson and Bregman

Postby geeznotagain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:04 pm

I'd like to have both Bregman and Swanson on my team.

I believe early in the year Swanson was having trouble hitting a slider -- he "bit" on too many balls out of the strike zone and in the dirt. I don't think that's particularly unusual for a player who is relatively new to the majors. He improved when he got recalled, but that's still an area where he needs to improve even more if he's to reach his full potential.

Commodoredave

Postby Commodoredave » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:38 am

Way too early to tell who is the better long term prospect. Swanson had a better 2016, and yes, he struggled early this season.
Bregman is a really good hitter, but let's not act like he is carrying the Astros. Every time he bats there are guys on base with Springer, Altuve, and Correa in front of him. He hit 284 this year, and is below that in the world series. Last night he had a couple of chances to drive in runs and failed.

Swanson's K rate was an issue in college. Part of the consideration in projecting potential was that he was not a full time player in high school, being a 2 sport star, and he only had two years of college ball because he was hurt as a freshman. Bregman was going to the majors from the time he was 10 years old, so he's had many more high level reps all the way through. You see the polish and the results of a great work ethic, but the upside is God given, and it may take a couple more years before we see how good Dansby will be.

VUaskew

Postby VUaskew » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 am

Not to mention that the Braves didn't do Dansby any favors by trying to make him the face of the franchise so soon, in order to get the fans excited about a new stadium.

Return to “Vanderbilt Baseball”