Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

New AD's first priority!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

DoresFreak

New AD's first priority!

Postby DoresFreak » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 am

The first decision for the new AD is to fire CSW and hire someone who can save this women's basketball team from anymore embarrassment like I watched last night! No wonder Caroline Peck bailed out on her. She cannot coach! The loss last night to a team playing their first game as a division one school on our home court is unacceptable! I feel very sorry for these young ladies that they have to play under CSW and this staff! These players deserve better!

Dorewithaflare

Re: New AD's first priority!

Postby Dorewithaflare » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorry,but no one cares that could do anything about it. I didn't buy tickets for the first time since they started selling season tickets. But i sat there the hold game last night with hope that they would win. Thinking i will never see another girls game. An i thought i did not like MB.

gymbo

Postby gymbo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm

This should help focus his/her’s attention.

020F3A03-12CA-4D28-8A29-21746A3329E6.png
020F3A03-12CA-4D28-8A29-21746A3329E6.png (2.62 MiB) Viewed 850 times

OldDude

Postby OldDude » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:27 pm

It is really hard to see why White should be retained.

Two66grads

Postby Two66grads » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:46 pm

A question: what should our coaching staff be doing differently?

vandyfan52

Postby vandyfan52 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Yes, I really appreciate this question (what should our coaching staff be doing differently?) that was just posited in the post before here. Thank you for being constructive.
Building on this theme, what do people think needs to be done to get this once proud program back on track (besides getting a new coaching staff)?

VandyDan78

Postby VandyDan78 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Defense, or lack of has been the number 1 issue. There is absolutely no way our girls should’ve given up 28 points in one quarter, especially a team playing it’s first year in D1. Cierra Walker looked way out of sorts last night and I just don’t understand LeaLea. I want her to live up to her potential, but it’s looking bleak.

dore43

Postby dore43 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:06 am

66 and 52,
#1 Defense is by far the #1 issue. Any competent coach can pick CSW apart.
#2 While I didn't see it in this game - there have been soooo many unforced turnovers. I really think it's a reflection of players who are overcoached and micromanaged.

Solutions
#1 Have most possessions go through Fasoula. Move her around from high post to low post. She will be our best matchup throughout the season. I think she can make everyone better.
#2 Simplify the defensive scheme. It may work when you have WNBA level athletes with four years of college coaching - but we do not. I still can't figure out if she has confused the hell out of our players or she just cannot teach it. Honestly, due to lack of depth - I really think we need to go primarily zone. Occasionally mix in some man to man.
#3 Due to our lack of depth - prepare for every SEC team to press the heck out of us and work on it during practice with our men's practice squad players. Develop some press breakers that could lead to easy baskets.
#4 Did I mention our lack of depth. Emphasize over and over and over. NO DUMB FOULS. We have such a short bench and cannot afford ANY foul trouble. Fasoula's fifth 60 feet away from the basket out of frustration was an enormous turning point v. UNA
#5 And maybe this has happened - solicit advice from team leadership whomever that is. When CBD struggled until midway through his first year he finally talked with Kornet and (was it Cressler?) They wanted to run some offensive schemes xCKS used and CBD adjusted. The team went on a terrific run late in the year. Granted she's the coach and they are the players ---- but perhaps it could lead to a little more success. Given how many players have transferred under her watch, she's likely a "may way or the highway" type... Which college coaches should be --- but let's face it --- what she's doing isn't working... and she is routinely outcoached. I'm not sure if it would translate to any more success, but at some point there's nothing more to lose.

Hope this helps.

vandyfan52

Postby vandyfan52 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks so much, dore43 for this post and all of your insight. I am at a distance and cannot attend games so am very appreciate of people sharing firsthand knowledge about what is happening on-court.
I would also appreciate any thoughts you or others (Vandywhit?) might have regarding the overall welfare of the program (can the current staff be blamed for all of the problems or has the program been in decline for years?). While I understand the calls for an overhaul of the coaching staff, it is just one game into the third season of Coach White and do not think that is adequate time given to date. While some might not agree with that sentiment, I think that we can all agree on how difficult it feels to see the program fall so far from past glory, while attendance continues to go down through the years.
Again, thanks to anyone who shares his or her opinions.

commadore

Postby commadore » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm

it isn't going to get any better with this staff.

charlestonalum

Postby charlestonalum » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:33 am

I think as I often write that Commadore is wrong - my bet is this staff shows improvement this year even with only 7 players on scholarship. Even if they don't it is too early to count White et al out since she has been a winner everywhere and at every level she has been at before. Take a deep breath and wait.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

abvandy

Postby abvandy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:54 am

The new additions to the staff certainly have a lot of basketball knowledge. This has to be a positive going forward, and i hope we will see better results as the season progresses.

CONQUER!!...., and PREVAIL!!!

commadore

Postby commadore » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:10 pm

charlestonalum wrote:I think as I often write that Commadore is wrong - my bet is this staff shows improvement this year even with only 7 players on scholarship. Even if they don't it is too early to count White et al out since she has been a winner everywhere and at every level she has been at before. Take a deep breath and wait.

And the more you say that I am wrong, the more you show you haven't got a clue.

tim4vandy

Postby tim4vandy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:53 pm

We need to stop fouling!!

tim4vandy

Postby tim4vandy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 pm

commadore wrote:
charlestonalum wrote:I think as I often write that Commadore is wrong - my bet is this staff shows improvement this year even with only 7 players on scholarship. Even if they don't it is too early to count White et al out since she has been a winner everywhere and at every level she has been at before. Take a deep breath and wait.

And the more you say that I am wrong, the more you show you haven't got a clue.

We have waited for years. It gets old after awhile.

Return to “Vanderbilt Women's Basketball”