Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Carolyn Peck, leaving Vanderbilt ...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

Lundy

Carolyn Peck, leaving Vanderbilt ...

Postby Lundy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Carolyn Peck, leaving Vanderbilt women's basketball to return to TV

Adam Sparks, The Tennessean @ 5:48 p.m. CT Oct. 11, 2018

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 601421002/

dore43

Re: Carolyn Peck, leaving Vanderbilt ...

Postby dore43 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Wow. So that's why the Women's Basketball Assistant Coach job opening was listed on the Vanderbilt website two weeks ago.

Strange timing. Wonder if there's still turmoil in the program.

Two66grads

Postby Two66grads » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Odd timing for sure, but the setup never made sense to me to begin with.

Dorewithaflare

Postby Dorewithaflare » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:48 pm

The last hope for the womens program.......gone

abvandy

Postby abvandy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 pm

On the other hand - maybe this is just the jump start the program needs. Let's see what happens.

CONQUER!!...., and PREVAIL!!!

geeznotagain

Postby geeznotagain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:52 am

Sticking to the nautical theme, it sure seems our ship is adrift, and taking on water. The good news is that it would be difficult NOT to improve on last year's won/loss numbers.

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Postby VandyWhit » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:51 am

News release from vucommodores.com, includes a statement from Peck:

https://vucommodores.com/news/2018/10/1 ... areer.aspx

The only thing I find somewhat surprising is the timing, just in the middle of preseason practices. I thought it was pretty clear when she was hired that it was likely to be short-term, to assist in the transition.

Ndorefin

Postby Ndorefin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Carolyn is one of my all-time favorites! I believe this move is a positive for her and for VU. CSW will be able to add a younger, energetic, eager to learn coach as she continues to put her stamp on this program. I know most of us would like to see more immediate results, but we must give her more time to get everything the way she wants it. As I have said many times before, we have only seen two players (Hall and Newby) she recruited play. This year we will see 3 more in addition to Fas, who may be the best player we’ve had in a VU uniform for quite a while. Even at that, this is still going to be a fairly young team who will grow into CSW’s system. Patience, patience, patience....I believe she will get it done!

dcdore

Postby dcdore » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Can't get the idea out of the back of my mind that Carolyn just couldn't stomach the increasing Orange influence on her Black and Gold program.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD

vujoe

Postby vujoe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Carolyn is a class lady.

Ndorefin

Re: Carolyn Peck, leaving Vanderbilt ..

Postby Ndorefin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:20 pm

dcdore wrote:Can't get the idea out of the back of my mind that Carolyn just couldn't stomach the increasing Orange influence on her Black and Gold program.

Carolyn was part of that of the Orange, herself....she spent more time in Orange than at VU after she left VU. I’m sure you probably made your comment in jest.

geeznotagain

Postby geeznotagain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 pm

vujoe wrote:Carolyn is a class lady.

And her statement (in The Tennessean) was very classy.

vujoe

Postby vujoe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:30 pm

I believe her replacement was announced before this announcement.

dore43

Postby dore43 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:51 pm

vujoe wrote:I believe her replacement was announced before this announcement.

Who is it?

charlestonalum

Postby charlestonalum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Ndorefin wrote:Carolyn is one of my all-time favorites! I believe this move is a positive for her and for VU. CSW will be able to add a younger, energetic, eager to learn coach as she continues to put her stamp on this program. I know most of us would like to see more immediate results, but we must give her more time to get everything the way she wants it. As I have said many times before, we have only seen two players (Hall and Newby) she recruited play. This year we will see 3 more in addition to Fas, who may be the best player we’ve had in a VU uniform for quite a while. Even at that, this is still going to be a fairly young team who will grow into CSW’s system. Patience, patience, patience....I believe she will get it done!

Joe interviewed White at half-time. She explained what is written above. Expect improvement: she has learned what it takes to win in SEC, and we have recruited best players in the state. It is a work still in progress, but she seemed energized and up for the challenge. Be patient, she is a winner.

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Postby VandyWhit » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 pm

In her interview she mentioned the changes in the coaching staff. She mentioned the name of a male coach, a name I didn't recognize and don't remember, and it sounded like that was Carolyn's replacement, but then she also talked about Mickie DeMoss who has a different position, so maybe the guy does, too. I was a little surprised that apparently they've made a hire and haven't announced it, but I expect an announcement will be coming soon.

Commodoredave

Postby Commodoredave » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Just a sad state of affairs for a once proud program that has hit absolute rock bottom. If we can't improve significantly, they should cut White loose and bring Peck back to run the show.

Return to “Vanderbilt Women's Basketball”