A new tonight 11/14

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

VandyWhit

A new tonight 11/14

Postby VandyWhit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Road game tonight against Central Michigan, last year's MAC regular season champion, so I don't expect it to be easy.

I think it's a very challenging non-conf schedule, a tough way to begin the season. Ordinarily, one might think of a game against a "directional" team to be a gimme, but road games are never easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't get any easier with another road game coming up next (Tulane). Let's hope that they learned some good lessons from the last game and are able to put them into action tonight.

Game time is 6 p.m. and the game is supposed to be on ESPN3.

VandyDan78

Re: A new tonight 11/14

Postby VandyDan78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm

It’s looking pretty grim at the moment. The lack of defense is troublesome.

VandyWhit

Postby VandyWhit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Yes, not an auspicious beginning -- giving up 29 points in the 1st quarter, yikes! CM 6/10 from 3-pt range is definitely problematic.

tim4vandy

Postby tim4vandy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Open threes, no rebounding...crappy defense.

VandyWhit

Postby VandyWhit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm

At halftime, CM is 8-21 from 3-pt range, so 2nd half better than first.

14 first half turnovers. That needs some work.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:10 pm

CMU looks like some of Balcomb's old teams. Systematic, hot shooting and well coached.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g

VandyDan78

Postby VandyDan78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:11 pm

I thought that there would be no way they could play any worse than what we saw against MTSU. Geez was I wrong... I’m baffled.

VandyWhit

Postby VandyWhit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm

admin wrote:CMU looks like some of Balcomb's old teams. Systematic, hot shooting and well coached.

Sue Guevara is one of the coaches that I used to cite in some of those old "we need a new coach now!!" discussion. She was fairly successful at Michigan, making the NCAA tournament about half the time. She was fired, then the program went to rock bottom under Cheryl Burnett. In the meantime, Guevara kept coaching, mostly as an asst, and seems to have found a good place for her. I reckon the same will happen to Balcomb one of these days.

tim4vandy

Postby tim4vandy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 pm

admin wrote:CMU looks like some of Balcomb's old teams. Systematic, hot shooting and well coached.

Also reminds of playing small ball, big girls on the bench, and open threes.

Sorry losing games make me grumpy.

:roll: :(

VandyWhit

Postby VandyWhit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Although the outcome is disappointing (duh), I did feel like things improved somewhat as the game went on. At one point in the 4th quarter, we cut the lead to 10 points, but then couldn't get over the hump. I think we've got some good pieces of the puzzle; just need to find a group who plays well together for long stretches.

BooMax

Postby BooMax » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 pm

I dont get the lovefest for Balcomb in this thread because it was her that destroyed Vandy WBB. White has 1 recruiting class on the floor and the remaining players are holdovers. Sorry, but I know Whit and Don were big fans but please acknowledge that Melanie is largely responsible for the rebuild required here!!

Ndorefin

Postby Ndorefin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what CSW is doing? It doesn’t appear to me that she does. I expected so much more out of this team, but her lineups and substitutions make absolutely no sense to me. She leaves turnover machines on the floor and the offense doesn’t seem to have any purpose, whatsoever. As I stated after the MTSU game, we won’t win an SEC game playing at this level....absolutely, totally disgusting!! No one cares anymore, so I ask myself why am I wasting my time???

geeznotagain

Postby geeznotagain » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm

VandyWhit wrote:Although the outcome is disappointing (duh), I did feel like things improved somewhat as the game went on. At one point in the 4th quarter, we cut the lead to 10 points, but then couldn't get over the hump. I think we've got some good pieces of the puzzle; just need to find a group who plays well together for long stretches.

I watched just the second half, and I thought we looked decent. Bell and Newby did well (the latter with 8 rebounds), some others did okay (Overbeck, Whalen, Walker). I guess we just dug ourselves too big a hole in the 1st half. I heard that we had 14 first half TO's -- that's inexcusable. Also, giving up 29 points in the 1st quarter doesn't say much for our defense. I'm still looking forward to seeing LeaLea Carter on the court. At the point we have good quickness, but seem to be lacking in experience and discipline. Spears last year provided steadiness and stability and leadership (even though she had zero quickness). I'm confident that our current PG's will be better than Minta, but it may take a while. In my mind, the jury is still out on our coach.

VandyDan78

Postby VandyDan78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:29 pm

Yes, it’s frustrating. The out of sync, error filled, chaotic play is hard to watch. As far as Coach White, I believe she just needs a little more time. It’s very early. I admit, I hurled a few “choice” words at the TV earlier, but I must remind myself of this process. There seems to be no energy from the team on the court and a plethora of injuries. Once they get it all together, hopefully sooner than later, it should be fun to watch.

VandyWhit

Postby VandyWhit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 am

BooMax wrote:I dont get the lovefest for Balcomb in this thread because it was her that destroyed Vandy WBB. White has 1 recruiting class on the floor and the remaining players are holdovers. Sorry, but I know Whit and Don were big fans but please acknowledge that Melanie is largely responsible for the rebuild required here!!

Sorry, I don't agree with your view of Vandy WBB history, but I've got no interest at this time in rehashing the past.

OTOH, I do agree completely with you that it's way too early to judge White's tenure. If I've said anything that led you to believe otherwise, I apologize for the confusion.

Commodoredave

Postby Commodoredave » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 am

What the heck is going on? I understand there may be a talent deficit, but we aren't competing with mid-majors now.
I have to say that I was much more confident in Stephanie White than either Mason or Drew when she was hired, but something is amiss. Great coaches get the most out of what they have, and from a far outsider's perspective, we aren't getting anything out of anyone.

Nashmann

Postby Nashmann » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 am

Wow...this team is awful so far.....all that height sitting on the bench and wonder why lack of rebounds?? Two basic Head Coaches and this team is in chaos

geeznotagain

Postby geeznotagain » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:11 am

Nashmann wrote:Wow...this team is awful so far.....all that height sitting on the bench and wonder why lack of rebounds?? Two basic Head Coaches and this team is in chaos

Yes, we do have some tall girls for a (welcome) change. We don't know yet about the quality of those players. Although I've only seen 3 halves of Vandy WBB this year, I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that Bree Horrocks is not the answer.

EllistonVU

Postby EllistonVU » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:13 pm

BooMax wrote:I dont get the lovefest for Balcomb in this thread because it was her that destroyed Vandy WBB. White has 1 recruiting class on the floor and the remaining players are holdovers. Sorry, but I know Whit and Don were big fans but please acknowledge that Melanie is largely responsible for the rebuild required here!!

You are correct no matter if others won't say it.

However, I am concerned that with whatever White/Peck have to put out there on the floor, the results right now are also horrible.

memphisVUalum

Postby memphisVUalum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:42 am

I used to hear this view a lot from a friend who recounted the past, so it’s not the first time I’ve heard it. And the complaints I’ve seen in the thread about keeping turnover machines on the floor ring a bell. I heard a player’s family member venting about Balcomb on my way out from one of our road losses last year. Guess they’ll have more venting to do until things get better.

Hope Balcomb succeeds wherever she continues and our present coaches do too.

I’ll address the game in a separate post, which I think lands on a second page of this thread.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vanderbilt Women's Basketball”