Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Joe Rexrode takes Nick Zeppos to task for his silence

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

Seadog73

Re: Joe Rexrode takes Nick Zeppos to task for his silence

Postby Seadog73 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Great article, well written. And SO true. Fish or cut bait. Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Right now Kirkland is nothing more than a silent roadblock

2kidsthere

Postby 2kidsthere » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 pm

IMO - Nothing is gunna happen to the stadium "problem" until Zeppos and Williams retire from VU.

DeefromAtlanta

Zeppos is huddling with his advisors in in Kirkland Hall

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm

There's a secret room in Kirkland Hall where Vanderbilt's great thinkers go to make their most bone-headed decisions. The lights are on and the door is locked.

Zeppos and the BOT should be embarrassed.

Matheta

Postby Matheta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

The purpose of the University is education not Athletics!

commadore

Postby commadore » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Matheta wrote:The purpose of the University is education not Athletics!

No, it isn't. But if you are going to hold yourself out as a world class university, AND if you are going to engage in and spend millions on an athletic department, then you should try to make it as world class as the university itself. You should NOT tie the hands of those in charge of athletics, preventing them from even raising money for the programs needed to run the athletic department. Time after time after time it has been proven that a national championship in basketball and/or football (1) raises the donation to the university and (2) raises the number of applications to the university allowing it to be more restrictive in admissions and, therefore, raising the quality of admitted student. For a bunch of supposed smart people in charge, they all seem to over look this. Apparently even you.

Titans309fan

Postby Titans309fan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Good article. I just want Williams and Zeppos to acknowledge that Vanderbilt football is way behind the times with their facilities, and show they have a plan to change that.

3rdFloorDyer

Postby 3rdFloorDyer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Titans309fan wrote:Good article. I just want Williams and Zeppos to acknowledge that Vanderbilt football is way behind the times with their facilities, and show they have a plan to change that.

^^ What he said ^^

Johnmn555

Postby Johnmn555 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Matheta wrote:The purpose of the University is education not Athletics!

The purpose of the University is not to provide entertainment. It is not realistic to expect a new/heavily renovated football stadium, an air conditioned improved Memorial and the West End Project simultaneously. The latter two are getting done first. Get over it. When the dust has settled on those projects, they will look at the stadium.

VandyMachine

Postby VandyMachine » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Do the basketball and baseball projects first. Fine. Let those who spend their dollars on season tickets & use their own time know that football upgrades are at least in the pipeline.

My dad and I have had football and basketball season tickets for VU since the mid 00'S. Before then we would go to as many games as we could. Neither of us attended VU. But we have supported these teams as if they were our own. The total lack of support by this administration is infuriating. The team deserves better.

historybill

Postby historybill » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:49 pm

The most important and most powerful person in Vanderbilt sports today is Gordon Gee.

When he was chancellor, he woke up one day, wanted to see his name in the headlines, and decided to reorganize Vanderbilt so that it no longer has a full time athletics director.

A couple of years later he left and went to Ohio State and of course did nothing of the kind there. For all we know he constantly tells people what a dumb idea it was.

However, this decision STILL haunts Vanderbilt today.

AirForceDore

Postby AirForceDore » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:15 pm

I like most would love something of significance to be done to the stadium. Just make it more comfortable. If I must sit amongst and be outnumbered by our SEC brethren, at least let me be comfortable. I ran into ADDW at a coach's show one night. I attempted to ask him about the stadium, parking outside the stadium (which is asinine that empty parking lots during OOC games are filled with SEC fans for conference games) and just tried to strike up a conversation with the man. He wanted nothing to do with me. His daughter who was meeting him there was just as pleasant as could be. DW, was more of the yeah whatever stance. I wonder if the dude tried back in the day and was told it ain't happening. I don't know. But the Tennessean calling out the deaf ear of Vandy Admin is nice but what will it really do? I hope something happens but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Meanwhile I quit traveling back to Nashville for every game plus the one away game every year, and now attend the OOC games at home. If I have to sit uncomfortably for 3.5-4 hours, it might as well be amongst Vandy fans and not the hoards of our conference brethren who annoy the piss out of me. Hell the TSU band is worth the price of admission. And their fans are great. Otherwise, I am content to sit at home, scream at my tv and literally get pissed at myself for being part of the problem when I see sea's of Crimson, Red, Orange, etc... in Vandy stadium. I will always love the Dores, but unless they (the admin) start loving the fans back, I am only good for 3-4 games a year. Hell, they won't even let me bring my chair back seats into the stadium anymore. SMH......

alathIN

Postby alathIN » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Please don't lecture about the purpose of a university.
Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, and others seem to have salvaged some semblance of a quality education despite their decision to be good at sports.

If you think athletics isn't compatible with high academic achievement, then we should cancel all varsity sports.

There's no reason to do half-hearted athletics. How is doing sports badly serving the university's mission? There is no possible argument you can make to justify crappy athletics.If you're going to do something - anything - do your level best to excel. If you're setting out to do it badly, then just don't do it. .
Last edited by alathIN on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VUPKS

Postby VUPKS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:02 pm

I really dislike the final scene on the Vanderbilt TV ads during sporting events, with Zeppos big face right in the middle of a bunch of students at the end. Narcissist.

ANCHORDOWN01

Postby ANCHORDOWN01 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Point taken.

However, as far as Duke as concerned. I live in North Carolina. Their basketball program has taken a terrible toll on their reputation. First, alot of people don't know this out side the state, but the basketball players are allowed to take their elective courses at NC Central State. So their players aren't getting a 'Duke education'.

Likewise, recruiting one and done players raises a lot of issues, including whether keeping someone academically eligible for one semester indicates any real commitment to balancing academics with the need to maintain a competitive basketball program. Duke University, by allowing Coach K to recruit academically deficient “One and Done” high school players, sends a very clear signal that education of athletes is not a priority.

Generally speaking, the most elite sport recruits (read: prospective basketball players) can be tentatively admitted before they've finished their junior year of high school; all that's needed is a PSAT score and freshman and sophomore grades. This was how many of Duke's star basketball players are admitted to Duke with a 2.3 GPA and an ACT score of 15; credentials didn't even meet NCAA minimums of a 2.5 GPA and 17 on the ACT.

Please use Stanford or Notre Dame or even Wake Forest but Duke sold their academic soul to the gods of basketball championships long ago.

alathIN wrote:Please don't lecture about the purpose of a university.
Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, and others seem to have salvaged some semblance of a quality education despite their decision to be good at sports.

If you think athletics isn't compatible with high academic achievement, then we should cancel all varsity sports.

There's no reason to do half-hearted athletics. How is doing sports badly serving the university's mission? There is no possible argument you can make to justify crappy athletics.If you're going to do something - anything - do your level best to excel. If you're setting out to do it badly, then just don't do it. .

Return to “Vanderbilt Football”