Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

1st NFL Game I saw in person was at Vandy

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

geeznotagain

Re: 1st NFL Game I saw in person was at Vandy

Postby geeznotagain » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:22 am

The first professional football game I saw in person was in the mid-to-late 60's, with the Miami Dolphins. It was a pre-season game in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. I don't remember Miami's opponent, but I'm pretty sure the opponent won. Miami was an expansion team, and this was either the first or second year of their existence. They stunk. Danny Thomas (comedian and founder of the incomparably great St. Jude Hospital) was a part owner of the Dolphins.

BelleVUe

Postby BelleVUe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm

You are going to think I am a huge football nutcase, here but I know the game you are talking about. If the opponent won, it has to be a game against Denver in 1966. It would have been August, but I cannot remember what week in the exhibition season.

I wanted to go to this game because the Dolphins had picked up Cookie Gilchrist, and Cookie was the AFL's version of Jim Brown. Except, by 1966, Cookie was basically washed up. He'd taken a ton of pounding playing the previous year in Denver behind a weak offensive line. His heyday, other than the CFL, was the three seasons in Buffalo. The 1964 Bills might have been good enough to play the 1964 Browns a close game if there had been a Super Bowl.

I didn't get to go to that game. Denver won, but I don't remember too much about the game other than Cookie rushed 4 or 5 times for about 2 yards per rush.

By the way, I remember a couple other NFL Preseason games at Dudley in the 1960s. The Giants and Falcons played again just before my senior year of high school began in 1968, and The Pittsburgh Steelers played the St. Louis Cardinals the year before. I couldn't go to either game, as they came during football practice both years. I think we played in a Jamboree for the 1968 Saturday night game, and the joke was that the 8 teams outdrew the NFL.
True Love Does Exist

BelleVUe

Postby BelleVUe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Speaking of Memphis, I just recalled going to the Liberty Bowl in the 1971 to see the Jets play the Pats. It was Joe Willie Namath against Jim Plunkett.

Namath didn't play that much, but John Riggins rushed for about 75 yards in the first quarter and part of the second quarter. Plunkett played the entire first half and part of the third quarter and completed a bunch of passes to his old college buddy Randy Vataha, but the Pats kept turning the ball over or had to settle for field goal attempts. Charlie Gogolak was not as good as his brother Pete. He was 3 for 7 in the game, and the Jets won by close to 30 points, with Boston scoring only 3 FGs. This may have been the last game they were called the Boston Patriots. They became New England at the start of the season, or it could have been that the radio announcer didn't get the memo. I cannot remember if the scoreboard showed them as BOS or NE
True Love Does Exist

VanDSIRROM

Postby VanDSIRROM » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:51 pm

BelleVUe:

I have really enjoyed all your posts since you recently started posting on VM. Keep it up.

However, I have two (2) questions:

1.) Do you have notes from the past 10 or 11 decades of football games or do you recall all this from memory?

2.) Do you remember what you had for lunch on Tuesday, July 3, 2018 and where did you eat it?

In other words, is your short term memory as good as your long term memory?
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD

BelleVUe

Postby BelleVUe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 pm

VanDSIRROM wrote:BelleVUe:

I have really enjoyed all your posts since you recently started posting on VM. Keep it up.

However, I have two (2) questions:

1.) Do you have notes from the past 10 or 11 decades of football games or do you recall all this from memory?

2.) Do you remember what you had for lunch on Tuesday, July 3, 2018 and where did you eat it?

In other words, is your short term memory as good as your long term memory?

Thank you so much, Mr. VanDSIRROM for your post. I mean this from the bottom of my heart and not just to say it.

Concerning my memory, you are dead on with your supposition. My short-term memory sucks. I left toast with melting cheese under the broiler and totally forgot it today for lunch, until the smell reminded me. So, I do know that I did not eat lunch today.

I had older male relatives that, when they were living, told me stories of their youth with even more clarity than I can do. My great Uncle Dan was in his 80's when he told me stories of the 1920's like they were the week before.

I can remember the name of the really beautiful, really sweet Delta Airlines flight attendant on the flight two months ago--Michelle, who just moved from Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale because she is trying to gain distance from the jerk that she thought she would marry until he breeded with somebody else. She was an Army All-American Drum Corps selection as a baton twirler and flag twirler, and when she was in high school, she had a job working at a family-owned burger and ice cream shack. She has two careers, as a hair colorist and a flight attendant, and she works about 60-70 hours a week. I'll remember Michelle Moore for life and all her details that she told me. Maybe, it's how motivated I am--cheese sandwich burning in the broiler, not so much; beautiful perfect 10 blonde flight attendant needing somebody to vent her emotions, most definitely.
True Love Does Exist

DoreZag

Postby DoreZag » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm

[quote="BelleVUe"]I am biased to a large degree because I loved the Chiefs in the AFL days, but the Chiefs' starting linebackers in my opinion were the best unit in the history of the game. Jim Lynch, Willie Lanier, and Bobby Bell combined size, speed, intelligence, and a type of savvy where they were always there to make the big play at crunch time."

5 of the 11 guys on that AFL Chiefs defense are in the HOF - Lanier, Bell, Buck Buchanan. Emmitt Thomas and Curley Culp. I grew up in the KC area during the late 60's-early 70's and remember those Chiefs/Raiders games. For about a 5 or 6 year stretch that rivalry was the best in any college or pro sport.

It was nice to see Curley Culp finally get inducted a few years ago. It should have happened many, many years ago. I remember reading an article in a sports magazine that asked a bunch of old defensive co-ordinators in the AFL how they game-planned for the Chiefs defense. Almost to a man they said it starts and ends with Curley Culp.

BelleVUe

Postby BelleVUe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Culp and Buchanan were brick walls in the trenches. Culp had been the national heavyweight wrestling champion at Arizona St.

Most younger fans wouldn't know this, but Willie Lanier was a Jackie Robinson/Perry Wallace in a minor role. He was the first African-American to start at Middle Linebacker in the NFL/AFL. The old guard believed about the Mike like they believed about the QB. About the time that Marlon The Magician Briscoe proved these old fuddy-duddies wrong, Lanier got his chance to show that an African-American could show off his brains on the field.

In those days, the QB and the MLB called the plays. There were no signals, no audio communication and very seldom did players come into the game carrying calls on defense, because the defense had to call the play quickly. Bell told a radio audience once that the difference between the 1966 and the 1968 and 1969 defenses was Lanier's play-calling and ability to roam sideline to sideline to stop the opponents. The Chiefs hit their offensive peak in 1966, and their 1968 and 1969 offenses had holes that Oakland exploited. Dawson was hurt most of 1969, and Mike Garrett had an off year in 1968, so it was up to the defense to lead the Chiefs to 12-2 and 11-3 records in those years.

Speaking of BBQ in KC, do you remember the great BBQ joint that was just down the street from the old ballpark where the Chiefs played before Arrowhead? Was that Bryant's? If so, we may have eaten there after a game. BTW, Bobby Bell's BBQ was on the north side of town on North Oak near US 69.
True Love Does Exist

commodorefan

Postby commodorefan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:33 am

Yes that is Arthur Bryant's. Municipal Stadium was a few blocks from there.

Return to “Vanderbilt Football”