I have never been this disappointed in VU

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

vandy86

I have never been this disappointed in VU

Postby vandy86 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:39 pm

This includes the coaches ,the football team, the students, the fans( Lack there of),the cheerleaders and the women's basketball team. There is no particular order to which I am more disappointed in. The coaches don seem to have a clue as to how to stop the run, contain the QB and cover the wide outs on defense. As to the offense lets just leave it at run up the middle and run into your own player who tackles you. Where has Caleb Scott been this year? I don't know what to think or what to say. The "Show Me" state is going to do just that next week and then we have a lame duck coach at ut trying to get the job there. They will also be more than ready for us. I just hope the cheerleaders and basketball girls have gotten it out of their systems for the rest of the year. Otherwise it's going to be a long winter.

ANCHOR DOWN DORES!!

CLTDore

Re: I have never been this disappointed in VU

Postby CLTDore » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Why are you dissatisfied with the cheerleaders?

thefan

Postby thefan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 am

It is miserable! Most disappointing season at VU I can remember and it started with such high expectations. In all fairness to the man being tackled by his own teammate, it seems that the man with the ball ran into his teammate from the back; can't really fault the teammate who was run into from behind. Definitely thought Kentucky should have received a targeting decision on the personal foul.

Seadog73

Postby Seadog73 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:49 am

Don't forget that Sherfield ran into Webb because Webb was downfield blocking and had knocked a UK player to the ground. He bounced up looking for another target when Sherf hit him from behind.

That said, it was maybe the most disappointing game since Mason year 1.

charlestonalum

Postby charlestonalum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:44 am

Hah, 86, :oops: :oops: you are not old enough to remember some much worse football - when we were in school we lost to The Citadel and never could beat SEC teams even with Tulane in the SEC. It has been worse in my memory, but I also can remember recent good teams so I get your point.

EllistonVU

Postby EllistonVU » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:25 am

Bobby Johnson didn't win a D-1 game his first season. That team would have lost the Kansas State game by 50. He finished up with a loss at Army his last season, favored by like 30.

And there were the no defense losses under Watson Brown, the no offense losses under Dowhower, the 65 point loss under DiNardo, the loss to 0-5 mtsu under CBJ, etc.etc.etc

rEvUrB

Postby rEvUrB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 am

I don't understand what keeps people coming back to be honest. I was as die hard a Vandy fan as anyone for a long long time. But finally the futile nature of it became too obvious. I think it was the moment MTSU blocked the chip shot field goal to get the victory. I still keep up a little, watch when they are on, but my expectations are always super low.

Remember, the fans on this message board care 100x more about Vanderbilt football than anyone who has actual influence on Vanderbilt football. Yes, that means you care more than the school itself. If that's the case, what reason is there to believe things will ever improve?

Most seasons are gonna be disappointing, with an occasional bowl appearance to break up the losing seasons. Anything bigger will lead to the coach leaving for greener pastures.

This is Vanderbilt football. Don't shoot the messenger.

vandy86

I'm sorry to say I am old enough

Postby vandy86 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 am

Charlestonalum-I played 1963-1966 and we did beat SEC foes and Tulane. We also tied a couple including Ga Tech and Ole Miss.So yes I have seen some pretty low lows and some great highs. As I mentioned my disappointment is across the board,but I feel the sun will shine on us again.
ANCHOR DOWN DORES!!

FayetteDore

Postby FayetteDore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 am

rEvUrB wrote:I don't understand what keeps people coming back to be honest. I was as die hard a Vandy fan as anyone for a long long time. But finally the futile nature of it became too obvious. I think it was the moment MTSU blocked the chip shot field goal to get the victory. I still keep up a little, watch when they are on, but my expectations are always super low.

Remember, the fans on this message board care 100x more about Vanderbilt football than anyone who has actual influence on Vanderbilt football. Yes, that means you care more than the school itself. If that's the case, what reason is there to believe things will ever improve?

Most seasons are gonna be disappointing, with an occasional bowl appearance to break up the losing seasons. Anything bigger will lead to the coach leaving for greener pastures.

This is Vanderbilt football. Don't shoot the messenger.

You haven't posted in a while. I remember when you did post frequently, and I always enjoyed reading.
Don't be a stranger. Hope to see you post more often.

Other longtime posters that I haven't seen in a while: BHoyal, CrazyVandyFan (who can forget his smoking chimp avatar), MagnoliaLeague (I remember him saying his absence is health related; I hope he's okay), SumnerCountyDore. Where are they?
Last edited by FayetteDore on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Contrarian.

Captcook

Postby Captcook » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 am

If this is the most disappointed you've been, then you haven't been around very long!

dorepleganger

Postby dorepleganger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am

CLTDore wrote:Why are you dissatisfied with the cheerleaders?

They are absolutely responsible for the play of the team. Without the perfect cheer, how can the players possibly be expected to win?!?

historybill

Postby historybill » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 am

I've been going to games since 1982 and to be honest I echo the original sentiment.

When was the last time that Vanderbilt was completely blown out in EVERY SINGLE HOME SEC game? So far our home losses in SEC games were by scores of 59-0, 45-14 and 44-21, and all three of them could have been much worse. Alabama hit a knee on our 3 yard line with a minute to go. Georgia took out their starting QB at the beginning of the fourth.

I left on Saturday when they ran back the kickoff which SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON ON-SIDE kick anyway, but I'm sure the Kentucky coaches called off the dogs as well because we are Vanderbilt. And, even among SEC coaches, no one will lower themselves to running up the score against us.

We are back to other coaches and other teams feeling sorry for us.

I have always known that 3-9 and 4-8 seasons were a part of being a Vanderbilt fan. But after the Johnson and Franklin years, I thought we were done with being blown away, at home, by ALL other SEC teams.

vandy86

Postby vandy86 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:19 pm

If I have to explain about the cheerleaders then I will be banished to the coffee shop. Do you get what I meant now? If not, take a knee.

alathIN

Postby alathIN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 am

I've been a VU football fan since my freshman year in 1982.
The program has certainly been in worse shape before, and the team more hapless.
But for many years it appeared that good football at Vanderbilt was simply impossible.

The difference now is we know that good football is possible.
There are some very solid athletes here. We have had some success.
It's perfectly possible, but it's simply not happening.

In a way this is more disappointing.

jimmycarson

Postby jimmycarson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

the biggest reason for few fans is that people know that really and truly VU admin just doesn`t care about football.What we need is about 2 or 3 hundred million spent on the stadium. Then you`ll see people in the stands.

sidewalkdore

Postby sidewalkdore » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:46 pm

vandy86 wrote:This includes the coaches ,the football team, the students, the fans( Lack there of),the cheerleaders and the women's basketball team. There is no particular order to which I am more disappointed in. The coaches don seem to have a clue as to how to stop the run, contain the QB and cover the wide outs on defense. As to the offense lets just leave it at run up the middle and run into your own player who tackles you. Where has Caleb Scott been this year? I don't know what to think or what to say. The "Show Me" state is going to do just that next week and then we have a lame duck coach at ut trying to get the job there. They will also be more than ready for us. I just hope the cheerleaders and basketball girls have gotten it out of their systems for the rest of the year. Otherwise it's going to be a long winter.

ANCHOR DOWN DORES!!

After the Ky game which I left early for the second time in thirty years or more I said I wa s done and never coming back , buying tics or doing the CC deal. Well after hearing this shit ,I will be back for my 35th year of season tics and my spot in lot four. Yeah we might get our butts handed to us on Sat but these kids needs support, and they deserve it. Yeah maybe fan support sux right now and I know the cheerleaders pissed some people off , BUT don't start on Stephanie's girls, they will be a good team, she is recruiting her butt off. Maybe Mason is struggling but if he don't get it done we'll get another. Time now to take a stand and support this team. look what can be done , look at baseball, look at basketball, football and girls basketball is next.

indysog03

Postby indysog03 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 am

Yeah, I get that. We've had worse seasons and worse performances, but I don't think that the gap between expectations at the start of the season and the end results has been this wide in a long, long time.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:41 am

I agree with sidewalkdore. Support the team and do our duty as fans even if we don't feel others are up to their roles. No, you may not want to drive 10 hours to go to the game on Saturday, but if you are reasonably close, support the 'Dores on Senior Day. It don't look good but it's very possible they could win this. Mizzou is on a roll but look at who they've played. Idaho, Florida right after they fired their head coach, stinking UConn (why couldn't they have been this bad in 2010?), UT with their lame duck coach (at the time). We are playing a night game. Wow. Seems like the first of those this season. We did better at night last season.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 am

Oh, Kansas State was a night game. :)

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 am

vandt86, we don't banish folks to the Coffee Shop. That would be considered cruel and unusual punishment. But thanks for following the sticky post.

Return to “Vanderbilt Football”