Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

User avatar
AuricGoldfinger
Posts: 12178
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 pm
Contact:

A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby AuricGoldfinger » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm

There were 29 teams and over 50 scouts represented there. A few observations from some others in attendance:

















Vanderbilt, here's your blueprint for success in today's fan marketplace: https://www.anchorofgold.com/2018/2/12/ ... y-s-sports

User avatar
dore43
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby dore43 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Simi threw down an amazing dunk as well.

http://twitter.com/simongibbs26/status/1049786446012395520

Commodoredave
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby Commodoredave » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 am

If Garland and Lee have indeed taken a step forward, and if they work together, this really could be the best backcourt in school history. Unquestionably the most athletic before we ever get started.

EllistonVU
Posts: 1091
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby EllistonVU » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 am

Roger Shurig and John Ed Miller. Now there was a backcourt. I used to mosey on over to old Memorial just to watch the Shur-Mill combo do their magic. This was well before the 3-point shot mind you. Well before the American League added the designated hitter. I can't stand the DH in pro baseball. It takes away from the strategy of the game that makes baseball the sport it is. And if you think today's baseball players are good, Ted Williams would hit .500 against today's pitchers. Cy Young would be embarrassed to see his name on a trophy being given to some of the modern era so-called "pitchers." Take old Dizzy Dean for example. Now there was a real pitcher. He was the "Ace of the Gashouse Gang" and that doesn't have anything to do with flatulence. And speaking of flatulence, how many over the counter antacids are there now? Even a small store like Dollar General must have 20 brands of them. Back in the day, all we had was Pepto-Bismal and it was enough. We kept some caster oil around to take to keep us "regular." The same bean they get toxic "ricin" from is where it comes from.

VanDSIRROM
Posts: 8517
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:37 am
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby VanDSIRROM » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:50 pm

"We kept some caster oil around to take to keep us "regular." The same bean they get toxic "ricin" from is where it comes from."

Well, now I understand why my Mother made me take so much 'caster oil'...lol...
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD





LincolnDore
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:43 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby LincolnDore » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm

I would be willing to bet everything I own that Ted Williams and Ty Cobb wouldn’t hit .400 combined against today’s modern pitching. We’ll never know, so it doesn’t matter. And how we got on the topic of baseball is beyond me as well. But to compare the greatest of yesteryear to today is a total farce and fanciful thinking.

EllistonVU
Posts: 1091
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby EllistonVU » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:57 pm

LincolnDore wrote:I would be willing to bet everything I own that Ted Williams and Ty Cobb wouldn’t hit .400 combined against today’s modern pitching. We’ll never know, so it doesn’t matter. And how we got on the topic of baseball is beyond me as well. But to compare the greatest of yesteryear to today is a total farce and fanciful thinking.


Hint: the whole rant was parody of a former poster who LOVED everything from back in the day.

But Ted Williams was an amazing hitter. Hit over .400 multiple seasons and even hit .388 when he was 38. I do get the old vs new reality. George Mikan would get twisted into a pretzel by Boogie Cousins. Merlin Olsen wouldn't make the scout team this year for the Rams. Mookie Betts very well might have hit .400+ back in the day as he did hit almost .350 this season against modern era pitching.

rEvUrB
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby rEvUrB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

EllistonVU wrote:
LincolnDore wrote:I would be willing to bet everything I own that Ted Williams and Ty Cobb wouldn’t hit .400 combined against today’s modern pitching. We’ll never know, so it doesn’t matter. And how we got on the topic of baseball is beyond me as well. But to compare the greatest of yesteryear to today is a total farce and fanciful thinking.


Hint: the whole rant was parody of a former poster who LOVED everything from back in the day.

But Ted Williams was an amazing hitter. Hit over .400 multiple seasons and even hit .388 when he was 38. I do get the old vs new reality. George Mikan would get twisted into a pretzel by Boogie Cousins. Merlin Olsen wouldn't make the scout team this year for the Rams. Mookie Betts very well might have hit .400+ back in the day as he did hit almost .350 this season against modern era pitching.


Some people around town say you have no room to be mocking the things other people post.

EllistonVU
Posts: 1091
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby EllistonVU » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:43 am

rEvUrB wrote:
EllistonVU wrote:
LincolnDore wrote:I would be willing to bet everything I own that Ted Williams and Ty Cobb wouldn’t hit .400 combined against today’s modern pitching. We’ll never know, so it doesn’t matter. And how we got on the topic of baseball is beyond me as well. But to compare the greatest of yesteryear to today is a total farce and fanciful thinking.


Hint: the whole rant was parody of a former poster who LOVED everything from back in the day.

But Ted Williams was an amazing hitter. Hit over .400 multiple seasons and even hit .388 when he was 38. I do get the old vs new reality. George Mikan would get twisted into a pretzel by Boogie Cousins. Merlin Olsen wouldn't make the scout team this year for the Rams. Mookie Betts very well might have hit .400+ back in the day as he did hit almost .350 this season against modern era pitching.


Some people around town say you have no room to be mocking the things other people post.


When you become a mod of the forum, you can at that point dictate what is allowed or not allowed to be posted. Let us all know the moment that happens.

VUaskew
Posts: 1823
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:43 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby VUaskew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm

I thought it was funny. I do wish the poster in question was still around. He had some good posts on occasion.

rEvUrB
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby rEvUrB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 pm

EllistonVU wrote:
rEvUrB wrote:
EllistonVU wrote:
Hint: the whole rant was parody of a former poster who LOVED everything from back in the day.

But Ted Williams was an amazing hitter. Hit over .400 multiple seasons and even hit .388 when he was 38. I do get the old vs new reality. George Mikan would get twisted into a pretzel by Boogie Cousins. Merlin Olsen wouldn't make the scout team this year for the Rams. Mookie Betts very well might have hit .400+ back in the day as he did hit almost .350 this season against modern era pitching.


Some people around town say you have no room to be mocking the things other people post.


When you become a mod of the forum, you can at that point dictate what is allowed or not allowed to be posted. Let us all know the moment that happens.


If I were a mod of the forum, you'd just create your 42nd username. Nice job of nearly single handily destroying the coffee shop board there "UTVOLHATER, BHOYAL, ELLISTONVU, WHOEVER IS NEXT. You're a real asset to this board.

That's all you're getting out of me, okay. Everyone's seen enough of your attention whoring back and forth bickering on this site. Vandymania was much better before you came along. Is there anyone you haven't clashed with?

DeefromAtlanta
Posts: 7339
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Agreed Revurb. Running off Bellvue was a piss poor move. He must find great joy in twitter. I've never understood the need to hide behind a moniker so you can spew negative, ugly criticism.

EllistonVU
Posts: 1091
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby EllistonVU » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm

I personally urged Bellevue to keep posting. If he decided not to, that is on him. But if it's a convenient opportunity to be martyrs, then enjoy some cheese and crackers with your whine...

Image

docdore
Posts: 2261
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby docdore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 pm

[quote="VUaskew"]I thought it was funny. I do wish the poster in question was still around. He had some good posts on occasion.[/quote

bellevue has actually been sighted on the dylan disu thread....

User avatar
charlestonalum
Posts: 8238
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:37 am
Location: Charleston, SC
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby charlestonalum » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 pm

yes BelleVUe is back and I told him he had been missed in that thread

nyyankeeDore
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby nyyankeeDore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 pm

charlestonalum wrote:yes BelleVUe is back and I told him he had been missed in that thread


He is back, but only back in time.

3rdFloorDyer
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:24 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby 3rdFloorDyer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Yes, check the dates. Maybe at least FairVU will return.

commadore
Posts: 3028
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:29 pm
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby commadore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 pm

charlestonalum wrote:yes BelleVUe is back and I told him he had been missed in that thread


I am not sure he is back. That was an old thread and his post was Sept 4th. I welcomed him back and deleted it when I realized the date on the post.

EllistonVU
Posts: 1091
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby EllistonVU » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 pm

VanDSIRROM wrote:"We kept some caster oil around to take to keep us "regular." The same bean they get toxic "ricin" from is where it comes from."

Well, now I understand why my Mother made me take so much 'caster oil'...lol...


And then I went into Auto Zone to see if they had any motor oil on sale this week. The guy said this week's special was on caster oil 10w-30. I told him there was no way I was putting any of that in my crankcase. There was a discount department store called "Big K" over by Charlotte Ave where Costco is now. They sold cases of beer in the automotive department. I always wondered if they had to obtain a special permit to do that. It was back when Beverly Briley was mayor. I always wondered why a macho guy like Mayor Briley had the first name "Beverly" and did it inspire Johnny Cash to write his hit song "A Boy Named Sue." It spent five weeks at number one on the country charts but 1300-a.m. WMAK used to play it here and that was a pop hits station. They played Johnny Cash between Bobby Sherman and The Partridge Family.

VU1970
Posts: 5371
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: A Whitman's Sampler of tweets from Vandy's Pro Day today

Postby VU1970 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:48 am

A spoonful of Black Draught (Black Drat) was all we needed.

EllistonVU wrote:Roger Shurig and John Ed Miller. Now there was a backcourt. I used to mosey on over to old Memorial just to watch the Shur-Mill combo do their magic. This was well before the 3-point shot mind you. Well before the American League added the designated hitter. I can't stand the DH in pro baseball. It takes away from the strategy of the game that makes baseball the sport it is. And if you think today's baseball players are good, Ted Williams would hit .500 against today's pitchers. Cy Young would be embarrassed to see his name on a trophy being given to some of the modern era so-called "pitchers." Take old Dizzy Dean for example. Now there was a real pitcher. He was the "Ace of the Gashouse Gang" and that doesn't have anything to do with flatulence. And speaking of flatulence, how many over the counter antacids are there now? Even a small store like Dollar General must have 20 brands of them. Back in the day, all we had was Pepto-Bismal and it was enough. We kept some caster oil around to take to keep us "regular." The same bean they get toxic "ricin" from is where it comes from.






Return to “Vanderbilt Men's Basketball”