Crystal Ball, Revisted

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

Jason94

Crystal Ball, Revisted

Postby Jason94 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Taking a look at the committed players in the top 25 of 247's composite index, here are the CB results compared to the school choice:

Barrett - 94% Duke, Duke
Reddish - 100% Duke, Duke
Jones - 100% Duke, Duke
Quickley - 90% UK, UK
Little - 100% UNC, UNC
Perry - 33% MSU, MSU (only 3 predictions)
Garland - 95% VU, VU
Johnson - 93% UK, UK
Reid - 95% LSU, LSU
King - 94% ORE, ORE
Bazely - 100% Cin, Cin (1 prediction)
Smith - 100% Maryland, Maryland
White - 100% UNC, UNC (3 predictions)
Dotson - 90% KU, KU

So regardless of the motivations of the people picking making the predictions, they can be very accurate, especially for the players who have a lot of predictions. This comes with caveats - the predictions can jump around a bunch over time, so at any given time there may or may not be any predictive value. But on the eve of an announcement, whatever school predictors land on tends to be pretty accurate.

With that in mind if things hold and Shittu announces soon, I would feel very good about our chances. Likewise, keep an eye on the CB as Langford gets close to an announcement. If it is truly far away, a lot of things could happen from here on out.

commadore

Re: Crystal Ball, Revisted

Postby commadore » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Does anyone or has anyone heard anything about whether Simi will announce in the next 24 hours? This is killing me (obviously I won't be running for senate either).

vandy735

Postby vandy735 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am

commadore wrote:Does anyone or has anyone heard anything about whether Simi will announce in the next 24 hours? This is killing me (obviously I won't be running for senate either).

If he hasn't committed by now then I don't he is going to by the end of this period. I can't really blame him, he's only visited one school (vandy) and it's hard to make that big of a decision without having other benchmarks. We are still in the lead with him for now, will have to continue to recruit through the basketball season and hope to sign him in the spring.

zhanglini

Postby zhanglini » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 am

so glad Duke is eating uk's lunch and dinner
@AD

UltimateVUFan

Postby UltimateVUFan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:52 am

zhanglini wrote:so glad Duke is eating uk's lunch and dinner

Ditto, but...Simi may end up at UK now with them missing on R.J. Barrett. They said they wouldn't go to college together. With Duke picking up Barrett, that opens up UK, who will come after him hard again if we don't sign him in this period. I'm afraid that despite how promising things have looked with him for so long, he may slip away from VU.

Return to “Vanderbilt Men's Basketball”