Preseason isn't showing much

Discuss Nashville's NFL team here, the Tennessee Titans.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Titans309fan
Admiral

Preseason isn't showing much

Post by Titans309fan »

It's really hard to evaluate the Titans through 2 preseason games since they are missing quite a few starters (Walker, Matthews, Evans, Conklin, Butler (last night), plus the starters haven't played very much.

I do like that Mariota has a TD pass in each game, Taylor had 2 TD's last night, and the offense seems more dynamic. The starters aren't committing many penalties.

What I don't like is that the secondary had looked really bad in both games, Gabbert hasn't done much as the backup QB, and way too many penalties by the 2nd and 3rd stringers.

EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Re: Preseason isn't showing much

Post by EllistonVU »

But channel 2's pre-season pre-game show said emphatically...

IT'S A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME!

They also said it was packed downtown in anticipation of the "BIG GAME" the other day despite the rain... that NOBODY stayed home and repeated IT'S A WHOLE NEW BALL GAME! :roll:

------------------------------------

Can VU market that 11a.m. start vs Nevada like that? Will it fool anybody? :lol: :lol: :lol:
BelleVUe

Post by BelleVUe »

0-3 and not showing much on offense

George Allen was fired by the LA Rams in 1978 after losing the first 2 preseason games with little showing on offense.

The Titans won't have the easy schedule they had last year. I can see a 6-10 season easier than I can see a 10-6 season. Houston will jump over them and Jacksonville will stay ahead. If Andrew Luck gets his old zing back, maybe the Colts will challenge them for 3rd.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

BelleVUe wrote:0-3 and not showing much on offense

George Allen was fired by the LA Rams in 1978 after losing the first 2 preseason games with little showing on offense.

The Titans won't have the easy schedule they had last year. I can see a 6-10 season easier than I can see a 10-6 season. Houston will jump over them and Jacksonville will stay ahead. If Andrew Luck gets his old zing back, maybe the Colts will challenge them for 3rd.
The Rams were pretty stupid back then. The preseason really means nothing, and Mariota has only been out there for a handful of drives. Walker and Matthews really haven't played either. I think this will be the best offense in Titans history (which unfortunately doesn't take much to do).

Speaking of the Texans, Watson went 3/6 for 15 yards and an INT yesterday. Mariota has more TD passes than Watson in the preseason.
BelleVUe

Post by BelleVUe »

The Allen firing was more than about losing those 2 preseason games, 14-7 to New England and 17-0 to the Chargers.

Allen came in after Chuck Knox and totally laid down childish rules to the veteran Rams team that had won the division 5 straight years. Players walked out of camp and publicly berated Allen, saying they would sit out the season rather than play for him.

Carroll Rosenbloom had to fire Allen after 2 preseason games, because he could see what was going to happen. There was one holdover on the staff from the Knox years, and Rosenbloom hired him. Ray Malavesi righted the ship immediately. The Rams slaughtered Seattle and Oakland to close out the preseason and then started the 1978 season 7-0 and 12-4 overall. They went to the NFC Championship Game and lost to Dallas, and then the next year, they made it to the Super Bowl.

Allen was finished in the NFL at this point. He came back to coach Long Beach State for one season in 1990, and took the 49ers to a 6-5 season, their only winning record in their final years of football. He died and the 49ers played just one more season before dropping football.

In all the years Allen was a head coach, he never had a losing season, even though he took over some bad programs. Washington had just one winning season in their previous 15 years prior to him becoming head coach. They had no losing seasons in Allen's 7 years.

He was the mastermind of the Cover 3 and combo zone defenses, and it was his defense that led the Bears to the 1963 NFL Championship. They intercepted 37 passes in 14 games. Bill Wade only needed to be a game manager and hand the ball off and throw safe short passes for the Bears to go 11-1-2 and beat the Giants for the NFL title.
ANCHORDOWN01
Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN01 »

I would not get too worked up about the preseason.

Just remember the 2008 Detriot Lions and 2017 Cleveland Browns both of which went 0-16 in the regular season went 4-0 each in the preseason.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Good to see Matthews, Walker, Butler, Orakpo, and Evans all practicing today. Hopefully that means all will be ready for the Miami game. I have no idea is any will play Thursday night, though it might not hurt to get some rust off in game situations.
Locked Previous topicNext topic