Why Mularkey will keep his job

Discuss Nashville's NFL team here, the Tennessee Titans.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Titans309fan
Admiral

Why Mularkey will keep his job

Post by Titans309fan »

The Titans fired Jeff Fisher after the 2010 season after coaching for 16 seasons. Munchak was hired and coached for just 3 seasons (22-26 record).

Whisenhunt, who did lead the Cardinals to a Super Bowl and had just turned around the Chargers offense as OC, was then hired. Fans lauded the hire since it was the first non-Oiler/Titan to be hired as a head coach in decades. Of course, he became the worst head coach in franchise history, winning just 3 games.

Mularkey became the interim head coach (since he had coached the Bills and Jags previously), but only won 2 more games. It was a surprise that he was retained as head coach, but he did have the backing of the players and the owner.

Under Mularkey as official head coach, the Titans have gone 9-7 (lost the tiebreaker for the division) and either 9-7 or 8-8. With a win or losses by both the Bills and Chargers, the Titans will make the playoffs for the first time since 2008. While it isn't the Super Bowl, it still is a significant improvement over both Whisenhunt and Munchak.

I know there are a loud group of fans that want the coaching staff fired. They are upset at the close wins throughout the year and the current 3 game losing streak. But they need to realize that firing coaches so quickly really hurts the attractiveness of the Titans for coaches. What coach really wants to come here if the previous three coaches only lasted 3, 1.5, and 2 years? It's just not healthy for a team to fire coaches over and over again, especially if the last one had a winning record.

And lets say the Titans lose and miss the playoffs, and the Titans do fire Mularkey. It's likely to be similar to the UT situation where the fans want certain names, and none of them will be hired. Then the fans will just blame the ownership group and the GM and be even more frustrated.

If I were in charge, here is what I would do for next year. I would seriously consider a change in offensive coordinators, since the offense has the biggest problems (despite so many draft and free agent resources spent on the offense under Robinson). I would extend Mularkey one more year (so he isn't a lame duck coach), but give him an understanding that reaching the playoffs is needed to keep his job. I would also try to get a defensive coordinator replacement lined up, since LeBeau is so old.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Why Mularkey will keep his job

Post by admin »

I hope he does. He's a good man and has done much better than the previous HC.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Locked Previous topicNext topic