Luke List

The discussion forum for both the men's and women's Vanderbilt golf teams.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vujoe
Vice Admiral

Luke List

Post by vujoe »

Not sure where he ended up but was among the leaders on Saturday.

Titans309fan
Admiral

Re: Luke List

Post by Titans309fan »

He ended up in a tie for 12th. I was really hoping he could build on his first two great rounds, but he shot a 73 and 75 (after shooting a 69 and 66).

Still, he earned $123,338, which brings his career earnings to $3,487,509. He may not have a won a PGA tournament in his career, but he is making a good living.
vufan1
Rear Admiral

Post by vufan1 »

I watched him on Sat's round. He hits it a mile with what appears to be little effort. I think he was #2 in driving distance after Sat's round. Saw him hit one 362 yds. Putting really hurt him. I saw him miss two 3-footers and then 3-putt the final hole Sat. Probably should have been a 70 instead of a 73. Still, he's continuing to gain confidence that he can compete on tour.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Luke is leading at the Honda going into Sunday. Vanderbilt mentioned several times. Watch for him today.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

vufan1 wrote:I watched him on Sat's round. He hits it a mile with what appears to be little effort. I think he was #2 in driving distance after Sat's round. Saw him hit one 362 yds. Putting really hurt him. I saw him miss two 3-footers and then 3-putt the final hole Sat. Probably should have been a 70 instead of a 73. Still, he's continuing to gain confidence that he can compete on tour.
I didn't see Saturday. So, he 3-putted the final hole and still birdied?? That's impressive.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Luke is in a three way tie for first as he approaches the 18th hole. He missed a golden birdie opportunity on #16, but he survived missing the green on #17 for a par.

Come on Luke!
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Justin Thomas made an incredible shot from the fairway to within 5 feet of the cup for an easy birdie. Luke had a really long eagle putt. He missed, but it was an easy birdie to force a two-man playoff.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

It looks bad for Luke. His drive on 18 went way right, into the trees. Justin is in the first cut on the rough and likely gets on the green somewhere in 2. :(

Luke likely needs a miracle to even keep it tied at this point.

His second shot didn't slice at all and is right by the tent into the gallery.

It's so tough when you are a winless golfer vs. the PGA player of the year from last year.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Justin made his birdie for the win. Luke had a long birdie putt, but it was a bit off.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and he can win one soon.
darthvaderbilt
Rear Admiral

Post by darthvaderbilt »

second place worth $712k
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

darthvaderbilt wrote:second place worth $712k
Not a bad payout. He also jumped up from #39 to #16 in the FedEx Cup standings.
cdores
Lieutenant

Post by cdores »

Wow Luke 3 under on the day, -4 overall, t8.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

3/8 - 3/11 Valspar Championship
Finished 16 70-71-69-71 -- 281 (-3)
$77,296
darthvaderbilt
Rear Admiral

Post by darthvaderbilt »

beat Sneds who was -1
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

List is going to finish in a tie for 7th at the Arnold Palmer at 8 under. Good job! (moved up 21 spots today)

McIlroy though is going to win it at 18 under.

List also is the last player to get into the 64-man World Golf Championship match play tourney starting this upcoming Wednesday.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

List is trying to stay alive in the Dell Match Play WGC today after losing to Justin Thomas yesterday 2 up. He did have an almost amazing comeback after losing his putter.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/03/21 ... -play.html

After bending his putter, List had to use a lob wedge to putt for his final 11 holes. Amazingly, he staged a rally late in the round before it fell short against the current FedExCup leader. List's troubles began after he bogeyed the 7th to fall 3-down. He swiped his putter at a bush, not realizing there was a brick wall behind it, and bent it to the point that it was unusable. But he holed out from off the green to win the 15th, then two-putted from 57-1/2 feet to birdie the par-5 16th and cut the deficit to 1-down. But Thomas put the match away at the 18th with a birdie.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Titans309fan wrote:List is trying to stay alive in the Dell Match Play WGC today after losing to Justin Thomas yesterday 2 up. He did have an almost amazing comeback after losing his putter.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/03/21 ... -play.html

After bending his putter, List had to use a lob wedge to putt for his final 11 holes. Amazingly, he staged a rally late in the round before it fell short against the current FedExCup leader. List's troubles began after he bogeyed the 7th to fall 3-down. He swiped his putter at a bush, not realizing there was a brick wall behind it, and bent it to the point that it was unusable. But he holed out from off the green to win the 15th, then two-putted from 57-1/2 feet to birdie the par-5 16th and cut the deficit to 1-down. But Thomas put the match away at the 18th with a birdie.
As I understand it, it's not that the putter was literally unusable, it was, by rule, unusable because the club had been "altered" in its shape or function by having a slight bend in the shaft. Half of my golf clubs are probably unusable by that rule, having been tossed around or slammed into the ground at one time or another. My one and only vice is "golf course temper". I'm just barely old enough to remember some of the meltdowns by Tommy Bolt; he was a classic. I think what List did is very, very mild compared to some of the things Bolt did. More recently, John Daly has been known to throw a club or 2.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Thanks for the explanation. :)

List lost 3&2 today, but he still gets to play tomorrow for the fun of it against the other 0-2 player in his bracket (Patton Kizzire, an Auburn grad who List likely played against in college).
DoreZag
Captain

Post by DoreZag »

I don't follow the PGA Tour too closely but I check out the leaderboard every weekend. I see Luke's name in the Top 5 again today. It seems the last three or four weeks he's been in the Top 10 or 15 on Saturday. I wonder what has clicked for him this year.
darthvaderbilt
Rear Admiral

Post by darthvaderbilt »

why did Sneds not play the 4th round of the Houston Open?
Locked Previous topicNext topic