Search found 8 matches

Return

by OldDude
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please help ID two Vandy players

Hi Bill, don't know if this means anything but the list below is one I found as to varsity players using number 24. These guys look really young so could be frosh team from late 60s - early 70s. Any names look familiar ? My only guess would be Springer based on look of the gym and the uniform, but T...
by VUaskew
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:57 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The only African-American players from Chattanooga that I remember from the mid-70's on were James Williams (#32 from Chatt Howard?) and Clarence Crazy Horse Smith, who may have gone to Riverside, but wore #45.

Not sure who the gentlemen in the pic are but they aren't Williams or Smith.
by OldDude
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:02 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The only African-American players from Chattanooga that I remember from the mid-70's on were James Williams (#32 from Chatt Howard?) and Clarence Crazy Horse Smith, who may have gone to Riverside, but wore #45. Not sure who the gentlemen in the pic are but they aren't Williams or Smith. Don't know ...
by OldDude
Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bill, you are right that few use the board anymore; I see so many 3- 4 footers rim out being shot too hard staight at the basket.
by commadore
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Terry Compton was great at using the backboard. 15 feet, 25 feet, if it was at an angle, he banked it.
by Go Vandy!
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BillVol wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:57 am...Hardly anyone uses the board anymore.
One of my Dad's pet peeves. His oft-repeated quote: "That's what it's there for."
by ScottGVU
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wasn't Tommy Springer from Nashville? I think he went to Glencliff.
Also, I was at Memphis State when Doom was there. I heard the ball squeak on the backboard on a shot he took from the corner.
by vandylifer
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:25 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tommy Springer IS NOT in the photo. I went to Junior High with him -- he had a big afro when he played at Vandy. One could be James Williams as mentioned in the thread. The photo isn't PRE 1970 as you can see 2L and 3L in the background. The don't look tall enough to be John Sneed and Carl Crain fro...